This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Galvanic Corrosion of Die Cast Magnesium Exposed on Vehicles and in Accelerated Laboratory Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Galvanic corrosion between die cast AZ91D and AM60B and different fastener systems has been evaluated by exposure on trucks and in accelerated laboratory tests. The exposure time on the trucks was 3 years, corresponding to a mileage of about 300000 km. Samples were retracted and evaluated after 1 and 2 years exposure. Similar samples were also exposed to the Volvo Indoor Corrosion Test and the General Motors GM9540P-cycle B test. The correlation between the field data and the laboratory tests was evaluated, as was the sharp difference in the performance of the fastener systems in the two accelerated laboratory tests.
CitationSkar, J., Isacsson, M., and Tan, Z., "Galvanic Corrosion of Die Cast Magnesium Exposed on Vehicles and in Accelerated Laboratory Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0255, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0255.
- Skar, J.I. Isacsson, M. Tan, Z. “General corrosion performance of die cast magnesium exposed on vehicles and in accelerated laboratory tests” Paper at 13 th Automotive and End User Seminar, Aalen, Germany Sept. 22 &23 2005
- Westphal K. Mulherkar T. Scheiding W. Light Metal Age April 2005 42 44
- ASTM Standard B94-05 “ Standard Specification for Magnesium-Alloy Die Castings” ASTM International 100 Barr Harbor Drive, PO Box C700, West Conshohocken, PA 19428-2959, USA
- “Registration Record of the International Alloy Designations and Chemical Compositions Limits for Wrought Aluminum and Wrought Aluminum Alloys” The Aluminum Association 900 19th Street, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20006 April 1991
- Skar, J.I. Willekens, J. “Corrosion and corrosion protection of magnesium die castings” Paper at 12th Automotive and End User Seminar, Aalen Germany Sept. 13&14 2004