This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characteristics of PMHS Lumbar Motion Segments in Lateral Shear
Published November 09, 2005 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study was to determine the characteristics of eighteen lumbar spine motion segments subjected to lateral shear forces under quasi-static (0.5 mm/s) and dynamic (500 mm/s) test conditions. The quasi-static test was also performed on the lumbar spine of a side impact anthropomorphic test device, the EuroSID-2 (ES-2). In the quasi-static tests, the maximum force before disc-endplate separation in the PMHS lumbar motion segments was 1850 ± 612 N, while the average linear stiffness of PMHS lumbar motion segments was 323 ± 126 N/mm. There was a statistically significant difference between the quasi-static (1850 ± 612 N) and dynamic (2616 ± 1151 N) maximum shear forces. The ES-2 lumbar spine (149 N/mm) was more compliant than the PMHS lumbar segments under the quasi-static test condition.
CitationSundararajan, S., Prasad, P., Rouhana, S., Demetropoulos, C. et al., "Characteristics of PMHS Lumbar Motion Segments in Lateral Shear," SAE Technical Paper 2005-22-0017, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-22-0017.
- Begeman, P.C. Visarius, H. Nolte L.-P. Prasad, P. 1994 Viscoelastic shear response of the cadaver and hybrid III lumbar spine Proceedings of 38th Stapp Car Crash Conference 55 64 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Berkson, M.H. Nachemson, A. Schultz, A.B. 1979 Mechanical properties of human lumbar spine motion segments - Part II: Responses in compression and shear; Influence of gross morphology Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 101 53 57
- Demetropoulos, C.K. Yang, Y.H. Grimm, M.J. Khalil, T.B. King, A.I. 1998 Mechanical Properties of the Cadaveric and Hybrid III Lumbar Spines Proceedings of 42th Stapp Car Crash Conference Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- EuroNCAP 2004 Assessment protocol and biomechanical limits European New Car Assessment Programme
- Iatridis, J.C. Setton, L.A. Weidenbaum, M. Mow, V.C. 1997 The viscoelastic behavior of the non-degenerate human lumbar nucleus pulpous in shear Journal of Biomechanics 30 10 1005 1013
- Lee, C.-K. Kim, Y.E. Lee, C.-S. Hong, Y.-M. Jung, J.-M Goel, V.K. 2000 Impact response of the intervertebral disc in a finite-element model Spine 25 19 2431 2439
- Lin, H.S. Liu, Y.K. Adams, K.H. 1978 Mechanical response of the lumbar intervertebral joint under physiological (complex) loading The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 60 A(1 41 55
- Liu, Y.K. Ray, G. 1975 The resistance of the lumbar spine to direct shear Orthopedic Clinics of North America 6 1 33 49
- McGlashen, K.M. Miller, J.A.A. Schultz, A.B. Anderson, G.B.J. 1987 Load displacement behavior of the human lumbo-sacral joint Journal of Orthopaedic Research 5 488 496
- Panjabi, M.M. Krag., M.H. White, A.A. Southwick, W.O. 1977 Effects of preload on load displacement curves of the lumbar spine Orthopedic Clinics of North America 8 1 181 192