This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Induced Noise in Single Cylinder Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 27, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, the potential of noise reduction of a small single cylinder diesel engine is analysed. The attention is addressed towards the combustion-induced noise that substantially contributes to the engine radiation. Different settings of the injection equipment are investigated, since they influence to a great extent the pressure increase during the combustion process, which in turn determines the level and the spectral characteristics of the noise emission. The cylinder pressure signal is processed in time and frequency domains and is analysed in order to relate the radiation to the rate of pressure rise during the combustion process and then to the engine settings. The effect of different engine operative conditions is investigated.
CitationChiatti, G. and Chiavola, O., "Combustion Induced Noise in Single Cylinder Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2004-32-0071, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-32-0071.
- Beranek, L., L. and Vér, I., L., Noise and Vibration Control Engineering: Principles and Applications. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc, 1992.
- Zheng, G., T. and Leung, A., Y., T., Internal combustion engine noise analysis with time-frequency distribution. 2002 Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 124, 645-649.
- Spessert, B., M., Noise reduction potential of single cylinder DI diesel engines. SAE paper 2003-32-0004/20034304.
- Dhaenens, M., Linden, G., Nehl, J. and Thiele, R., Analysis of transient noise behaviour of a truck diesel engine. SAE paper 2001-01-1566.
- Alt, N., W., Wiehagen, N., Steffens, C., and Heuer, S., Comprehensive combustion noise optimisation. SAE paper 2001-01-1510. N. W.
- Desantes, J., M., Torregrosa, A., J. and Broatch, A., Wavelet transform applied to combustion noise analysis in high-speed DI diesel engine. SAE paper 2001-01-1545.
- Corcione, F., E., Siano, D., Vaglieco, B. M., Corcione, G., E., Lavorgna, M., Viscardi, M., Iadevaia, M. and Lecce, L., Analysis and control of noise emissions of a small single cylinder DI diesel engine'. SAE paper 2003-01-1459.
- Chiatti, G. and Chiavola, O., Experimental analysis of combustion noise in spark ignition engine. SAE paper 2003-01-1442.
- Badami, M., Mallamo, F., Millo, F. and Rossi, E., E., Influence of multiple injection strategies on emission, combustion noise and BSFC of a DI common rail diesel engine. SAE paper 2002-01-0503.
- Cohen, L., Time-frequency analysis. Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 1995.
- Suh, I., Combustion on radiation noise and mount vibration from a V8 gasoline engine. SAE paper 2003-01-1730.