This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Hip Posture on the Frontal Impact Tolerance of the Human Hip Joint
Published October 27, 2003 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
… The pattern of left- and right-side hip injuries to front-seat occupants involved in offset and angled frontal crashes suggests that hip posture (i.e., the orientation of the femur relative to the pelvis) affects the fracture/dislocation tolerance of the hip joint to forces transmitted along the femur during knee-to-knee-bolster loading in frontal impacts. To investigate this hypothesis, dynamic hip tolerance tests were conducted on the left and right hips of 22 unembalmed cadavers. In these tests, the knee was dynamically loaded in the direction of the long axis of the femur and the pelvis was fixed to minimize inertial effects. Thirty-five successful hip tolerance tests were conducted. Twenty-five of these tests were performed with the hip oriented in a typical posture for a seated driver, or neutral posture, to provide a baseline measure of hip tolerance. The effects of hip posture on hip tolerance were quantified using a paired-comparison experimental design. In six pairs of tests, one side of each cadaver was tested with the hip joint oriented in the neutral posture and the contralateral hip from the same cadaver was tested with the hip joint adducted 10° from the neutral posture. In four pairs of tests, the hip was tested in neutral and 30° flexed postures. The average fracture tolerance of the hip in the neutral posture was 6.1±1.5 kN. Hip tolerance decreased by an average of 34±4% with 30° of flexion from the neutral posture (p<0.0001) and by 18±8% with 10° of adduction from the neutral posture (p=0.008).
- Jonathan D. Rupp - University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Matthew P. Reed - University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Thomas A. Jeffreys - University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
- Lawrence W. Schneider - University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
CitationRupp, J., Reed, M., Jeffreys, T., and Schneider, L., "Effects of Hip Posture on the Frontal Impact Tolerance of the Human Hip Joint," SAE Technical Paper 2003-22-0002, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-22-0002.
- Atkinson, P.J. Garcia, J.J. Altiero, N.J. Haut, R.C. 1997 The influence of impact interface on human knee injury: Implications for instrument panel design and the lower extremity injury criterion Proceedings of the 41 st Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper No. 973327 167 180 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Blincoe, L. Seay A. Zaloshnja, E. Miller, T. Romano, E. Luchter S. Spicer R. 2002 The economic impact of motor vehicle crashes Report No. DOT HS 809 446 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington. D.C.
- Donnelly, B.R. Roberts, D.P. 1987 Comparison of cadaver and Hybrid III dummy response to axial impacts of the femur Proceedings of the Thirty-First Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper No. 872204 105 116 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale P.A.
- Kuppa, S. Wang, J. Haffner, M. Eppinger, R. 2001 Lower extremity injuries and associated injury criteria Proceedings of the 17 th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, Paper No. 457 National Highway Traffic Safety Association Washington D.C
- Kuppa, S. Fessahaie, O. 2003 An overview of knee-thigh-hip injuries in frontal crashes in the United States Proceedings of the 18 th International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, Paper No. 416 National Highway Traffic Safety Association Washington D.C
- Leung, Y.C. Hue, B. Fayon, A. Tarrière, C. Harmon, H. Got, C. Patel, A. Hureau, J. 1983 Study of “knee-thigh-hip” protection criterion Proceedings of the Twenty-Seventh Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper No. 831629 351 364 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale P.A.
- Letournel, E. Judet, R. 1993 Fractures of the acetabulum Springer-Verlag New York
- Melvin, J.W. Stalnaker, R.L. Alem, N.M. Benson, J.B. Mohan, D. 1975 Impact response and tolerance of the lower extremities Proceedings of the Nineteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper No. 751159 543 559 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale P.A.
- Melvin, J.W. Stalnaker, R.L. 1976 Tolerance and response of the knee-femur-pelvis complex to axial impact Report No. UM-HSRI-76-33 University of Michigan, Highway Safety Research Institute Ann Arbor
- Melvin, J.W. Nusholtz, G.S. 1980 Tolerance and response of the knee-femur-pelvis complex to axial impacts—Impact sled tests Final Report No. UM-HSRI-80-27 University of Michigan, Highway Safety Research Institute Ann Arbor MI
- Nerubay, J. Glancz, G. Katznelson, A. 1973 Fractures of the acetabulum Journal of Trauma 13 1050 1062
- Partick, L.M. Kroell, C.K. Mertz, H.M. 1966 Forces on the human body in simulated crashes Proceedings of the Ninth Stapp Car Crash Conference 237 260 University of Minnesota
- Powell, W.R. Ojala, S.J. Advani S.H. Martin, R.B. 1975 Cadaver femur responses to longitudinal impacts Proceedings of the Nineteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Paper No. 751160 561 579 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale PA
- Read, K. M. Burgess, A. R. Dischinger, P. C. Kufera, J. A. Kerns, T. J. Ho, S. M. Burch, C. 2002 Psychosocial and physical factors associated with lower extremity injury Proceedings of the 46 th Annual Conference of the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 289 303 Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine Des Plaines, IL
- Rupp, J.D. Reed M.P. Van Ee, C.A Kuppa, S. Wang, S.C. Goulet, J.A. Schneider L.W. 2002 The tolerance of the human hip to dynamic knee loading Stapp Car Crash Journal 45 211 228
- Schneider, L.W. Robbins, D.H. Pflüg, M.A. Snyder, R.G. 1983 Development of anthropometrically based design specifications for an advanced adult anthropomorphic dummy family Volume 1 Report No. DOT-HS-806-715 U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Washington, DC
- Sochor, M.R. Faust, D.P. Wang, S.C. Schneider L.W. 2003 Knee, thigh, and hip injury patterns for drivers and right front passengers in frontal impacts Paper # 2003-01-0164 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale PA
- Stalnaker, R.L. Nusholtz, G.S. Melvin J.W. 1977 Femur impact study Final Report No. UM-HSRI-77-25 University of Michigan, Highway Safety Research Institute Ann Arbor, MI
- Viano, D.C. Stalnaker, R.L. 1980 Mechanisms of femoral fracture Journal of Biomechanics 13 701 715
- Yang, S. Hagiwara, S. Engelke, K. Dhillon, M.S. Guglielmi, G. Bendavid, B.A. Soejima, O. Nelson, D.L. Genant, H.K. 1994 Radiographic absorptiometry for bone mineral measurement of the phalanges: Precision and accuracy study Radiology 192 857 859
- Yoganandan N.A. Pintar F.A. Gennarelli, T.A. Maltese, M.R. Eppinger, R.H. 2001 Mechanisms and factors involved in hip injuries during frontal crashes Stapp Car Crash Journal 45 437 448