This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The International Space Station's Multi-Purpose Logistics Module: Thermal Performance of the First Five Flights
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 07, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Multi-Purpose Logistics Module (MPLM) is the primary carrier for “pressurized” logistics to and from the International Space Station (ISS). Transported in the payload bay of the Space Shuttle, the 15 foot diameter and 20 feet long habitable module is removed and docked to the ISS for unloading and reloading of contents within the ISS shirt sleeve environment. It is then placed back into the Space Shuttle for return to Earth. Within this role, a unique opportunity exists for collection and evaluation of data on the current hardware performance. This data can then be used to tune the current system's performance, as well as determining how future carrier systems can be developed, to provide an optimized hardware and process solution for a space-based logistics transportation system. This paper will focus directly on the thermal performance of the first five MPLM flights, occurring over a fifteen-month period and displayed in Table 1. An overall summary for each mission will be provided along with significant events and details on the MPLM flight performance. Flight performance will include the pre-flight analysis with comparison to the flight data.
CitationHolladay, J. and Cho, F., "The International Space Station's Multi-Purpose Logistics Module: Thermal Performance of the First Five Flights," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2517, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-2517.
- 5A.1 Launch Package Readiness Review MPLM Overview Holladay Jon 1 26 01
- STS-102 / 5A.1 Flight Readiness Review LTA Heater Issue Legett Jay 2 27 01
- 5A.1 THOR Preflight Brief Baker Adam 03 01 01
- 6A Stage Operations Readiness Review Removal of MPLM Window Cover for 6A Shariett Allen 3 27 01
- 6A THOR Preflight Brief Holly Ridings 04 16 01
- STS-105 / 7A.1 Flight Readiness Review MPLM IMV Valve Leakage Lewis John 8 01 01
- STS-105 / 7A.1 Flight Readiness Review MPLM CBM Corrosion Holladay Jon 8 01 01
- 7A.1 THOR Preflight Brief Joshi Leena Nelson Emily 08 02 01
- STS-108 / UF-1 Flight Readiness Review MPLM FOD Containment Shannon Steve 11 15 01
- UF-1 THOR Preflight Brief Shaefer Eric Herod Victor 12 02 01
- UF-2 THOR Preflight Brief Cho Frank 05 30 02