This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Selected Operational History of the International Space Station's Early External Thermal Control System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 19, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Early External Thermal Control System (EETCS) is the temporary system used to collect, transport, and reject waste heat from habitable volumes on the International Space Station (ISS). The EETCS collects heat from the Interface Heat Exchangers (IFHX) located on the US Laboratory module, circulates the working fluid, anhydrous ammonia, via the Pump and Flow Control Subassembly (PFCS), and rejects heat to space via two orthogonal stationary radiators. This temporary system has been active for over three years and is nearing the end of its utilization as a means of waste heat rejection for ISS pressurized modules. This paper provides a summary of the operational history of the EETCS and presents data from several interesting nominal and off-nominal events. Some of the events presented include the initial activation during the 4A mission, US Lab IFHX integration during the 5A mission, typical system performance while in various standard attitudes, system response to firmware controller operating memory errors, and system saturation due to high heat loads at high Beta angles. Finally, an outline of future operations is provided that includes transitioning from the EETCS to the permanent External Thermal Control System (ETCS) and dormant operations.
|Technical Paper||Basics of Loop Heat Pipe Temperature Control|
|Technical Paper||Development of a Recirculation Ejector for a Cryogenic Heat Sink for ECLSS|
|Technical Paper||In-Orbit Thermal Performance of a Smart Radiation Device|
CitationMiller, S., Cho, F., and Haddock, M., "A Selected Operational History of the International Space Station's Early External Thermal Control System," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2424, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2424.
- International Space Station Thermal Control Systems Console Handbook Volume 11 Early External Thermal Control System December 9 2002
- STS-97/4A THOR Flight Log December 2000
- STS-97/4A THOR Post-Flight Summary January 5 2001
- Flight Rule B18-168 EETCS Setpoint Constraints, ISS Generic Operations Flight Rules B August 05 2003
- STS-98/ISS-5A THOR Post Mission Report March 5 2001
- National Institute of Standards and Technology Website for Thermophysical Properties of Fluid Systems http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/
- 9A THOR Post-Flight Report November 23 2002