This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Use of Genetic Algorithms as an Innovative Tool for Race Car Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Design processes of modern race car are often developed in short time; during this period a large number of parameters has to be tuned to reach best results. Many kind of vehicle dynamics simulation models have been developed by car manufacturers and private suppliers to investigate car behavior on racing tracks. Such models have a high degree of complexity but they can be employed, in a simplified mode, during design processes of racing cars for which tracks technical data (for such circuits where they will race) are well known. During the first stages of the design activity very complex numerical models (such as multibody simulations) are not necessary and it is possible to use simplified methods to locate optimal solutions in a fast way. In present work a numerical model, able to reproduce car behavior on a defined circuit or simply analyze meaningful test cases (breaking, steering,…), is used to appraise performances of race car with different technical configuration. Besides is proposed a method to reduce designing field of investigation through genetic algorithms (GA's) using vehicle numerical model to individuate such solution that gives best performances on each circuit. Numerical algorithm is tested to choose best from a large number of technical configurations on different tracks. Several types of genetic algorithms are used: results show that GA's can be a useful tool to fasten design processes narrowing the field of investigation. In some cases the optimization method developed gives analogous results as what would be carried out by an experienced engineer.
|Simulation of a Vehicle Refrigeration Cycle with Dymola/Modelica
|Body Optimization for Front Loading Design Process
|A Methodology for Automotive Steel Wheel Life Assessment
CitationCastellani, F. and Franceschini, G., "Use of Genetic Algorithms as an Innovative Tool for Race Car Design," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1327, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1327.
- Milliken W.F. Milliken D.L. Race Car Vehicle Dynamics SAE International 1995
- Candelpegher A. Gadola M. and Vetturi D. Developments of a Method for Lap Time Simulation SAE Technical Paper Series 2000-01-3562 2000
- Siegler B. and Crolla D. Lap Time Simulation for Racing Car Design SAE Technical Paper Series 200201-0567 2002
- Hacker K. Kasprzak E.M. Lewis K. Exploring the design tradeoffs and computational savings of executing vehicle simulations in a parallel computing environment Proceedings of DECT'00 2000
- Franceschini G. Toni P. Un modello per valutare le prestazioni di una formula 1 su un dato circuito Atti del congresso AIMETA 90- Pisa 1990
- Holland J. Adaptation in Natural Selection and Artificial Systems Ann Arbor, Michigan The University of Michigan Press 1975
- Goldberg D.E. Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning New York, NY Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc. 412 1989
- DeJong K.A. An analysis of the behavior of a class of genetic adaptive systems Dissertation Abstracts International 36 10 University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI 1995
- Mahfoud S. Niching Methods for Genetic Algorithms University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign IlliGAL Report 95001 1995
- Harik G. Finding Multimodal Solutions Using Restricted Tournament Selection Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Genetic Algorithms Morgan Kaufmann Publishers 1995