This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Pilot Injection Parameters on Combustion for Common Rail Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The aim of the present work is to evaluate the influence of the pilot injection on combustion of a TDI Diesel engine for different engine torque and speed conditions. For this investigation, pilot injection timing and duration were varied on a wide range of values, and their effects on combustion pressure, rate of heat release, pilot and main combustion delay, combustion process and exhaust emissions in terms of NOx and smoke were analyzed.
An in-line, four-cylinder, turbocharged FIAT 1930 cm3 TDI Diesel engine, equipped with Common Rail injection system, was tested.
A piezoelectric sensor was located in the combustion chamber in order to acquire combustion pressure; from these signals, gross heat release rate was derived in order to analyze the combustion behavior. Pollutant emission levels have been measured by means of a gas analyzer, while for smoke an opacimeter was used.
It was found that both timing and duration of pilot injection strongly influence its autoignition tendency; in particular, pilot injection autoignition mainly occurs with low values of timing and high durations. Moreover, pilot injection timing effect is more evident on pilot ignition delay than pilot duration, whereas the effect of both variables on the main ignition delay depends on the engine operating conditions. The effect of pilot injection parameters is evident on engine emission behavior too; in particular, NOx emissions levels are mainly influenced by the pilot duration, whereas pilot timing effect is more evident at lower engine load and speed. Smoke emission seems to be influenced by both variables, but their effect is stronger especially at medium and high load.
- Paolo Carlucci - University of Lecce, Dept. of Eng. For Innovation, Research Center for Energy and Environment (CREA)
- Antonio Ficarella - University of Lecce, Dept. of Eng. For Innovation, Research Center for Energy and Environment (CREA)
- Domenico Laforgia - University of Lecce, Dept. of Eng. For Innovation, Research Center for Energy and Environment (CREA)
CitationCarlucci, P., Ficarella, A., and Laforgia, D., "Effects of Pilot Injection Parameters on Combustion for Common Rail Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0700, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0700.
- Heywood, J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Publishing Company New York 1988
- Dürnholtz, M. Endres, H. Frisse, P. “Preinjection: A Measure to Optimize the Emission Behavior of DI-Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940674 1994
- Pierpoint, D.A. Montgomery, D. T. Reitz, R.D. SAE Paper 950217 1995
- Nehmer, D.A. Reitz, R.D. “Measurement of the Effect of Injection Rate and Split Injections on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Formations” SAE Paper 940668 1994
- Tabuchi, T. Fujitani, N. Makino, N. “Recent Technology to Improve Engine Combustion Noise and Exhaust Emission by Optimizing Fuel Injection Systems” SAE Paper 951791 1995
- Kohketsu, S. Mori, K. Kato, T. Sakai, K. “Technology for Low Emission, Combustion Noise and Fuel Consumption on Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 940672 1994
- Erlach, H. Chmela, F. Cartellieri, W. Herzog, P. “Pressure Modulated Injection and Its Effects on Combustion and Emissions of a HD Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 952059 1995
- Montgomery, D. T. Reitz, R.D. “Effect of Multiple Injections and Flexible Control of Boost and EGR on Emissions and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2001-01-0195 2001
- Zhang, L. “A Study of Pilot injection in a DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 1999-01-3493 1999
- Minami, T. Takeuchi, K. Shimazaki, N. SAE Paper 950611 1995
- Badami, M. Millo, F. D'Amato, D. “Experimental Investigation on Soot and NOx Formation in a DI Common Rail Diesel Engine with Pilot Injection” SAE Paper 2001-01-0657 2001
- Ishida, M. Chen, Z. Luo, G. Ueki, H. “The Effect of Pilot Injection on Combustion in a Turbocharged D.I. Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 941692 1994
- Tennison, P. J. Reitz, R. “An Experimental Investigation of the Effects of a Common-Rail Injection System Parameters on Emissions and Performance in a High-Speed Direct-Injection Diesel Engine” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power January 2001 123
- Ficarella, A. Laforgia, D. Landriscina, V. “Evaluation of Instability Phenomena in a Common Rail Injection System for High Speed Diesel Engines with Common Rail System” 1999 SAE International Congress and Exposition March 1-4 1999 Detroit MI, USA SAE Paper 1999-01-0192 SAE TRANSACTION Journal of Engines 322 336