This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flow Characterization of a High Performance S.I. Engine Intake System - Part 2: Numerical Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper a numerical analysis is carried out of the flow characteristics in the intake system of a high performance engine. To this aim, the experimental flow bench results - obtained in tests performed on a Ducati Corse 4 valves racing engine head and presented in the parallel work  - are compared with the numerical ones. In  an experimental analysis was performed to evaluate the influence, on the flow characteristics in the intake system of a high performance 4 stroke - 4 valve internal combustion engine Notwithstanding the macroscopic meaning of the measured global coefficients Cd (Discharge Coefficient) and Nt (Tumble Number), the comparative analysis of their respective trends allowed some hypotheses to be drawn on the flow development internally to intake system ducts. In order to confirm the conclusions drawn in  and to reach a deeper insight in the flow characteristics, numerical simulations were performed. The geometry of the whole intake system, including throttle valve and poppet valves, was implemented and simulations performed by a modified version of the KIVA code. The influence of the grid spacing and of the turbulence model is analyzed. The numerical results permit to carry out a deeper analysis well to understand the complex fluid dynamics processes that occur in the intake system.
CitationBella, G., De Maio, A., and Grimaldi, C., "Flow Characterization of a High Performance S.I. Engine Intake System - Part 2: Numerical Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0632, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0632.
- Grimaldi C. N. Postrioti L. Battistoni M. “Flow Characterization of a High Performance S.I. Engine Intake System. - Part 1: Experimental Analysis” 2003 SAE World Congress
- Grimaldi C. N. Carducci F. Postrioti L. Bella G. Rotondi R. Vignaroli G. “Dependence of High Performance Engine Modeling on DIscharge Coefficient” High Tech Engines and Cars, 7° International Congress May 2001 Modena, Italy Proceedings on CD-ROM
- Postrioti L. “Experimental Characterisation of Discharge Coefficient and Tumble Motion in a Competition Engine Intake System” High Tech Engines and Cars, 8° International Congress May 2002 Modena, Italy Proceedings on CD-ROM
- Sclafani L. Postrioti L. “Numerical Analysis of a Fluid Flow in a Racing Motorcycle intake System” International Conference on Applied Simulation and Modelling 25 -28 June 2002 Crete, Greece
- Caulfield S. Rubenstain B. Martin J. K. Ruppel P. Mayer M. Lewis S. Tang A. Tillock B. “A Comparison Between CFD Prediction and Measurements of Inlet Port Discharge Coefficient and Flow Characteristics” JSAE 9938094
- Fan L. Reitz R.D. Trigui N. “Intake flow Simulation and Comparison with PTV Measurements” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0176
- McLandress A. Emerson R. McDowell P. Rutland C. “Intake and In-Cylinder Flow Modeling Characterization and Comparison with Flow Bench Results” SAE Paper No. 960635
- Sung N.W. Song J. W. “Flow Analysis for Manifold Type Intake Engine” SAE Paper No. 961824
- Miller R. Strumolo G. Russ S. Madin M. Affes H. Silke J Chu D. “A Comparison of Experimental and Analytical Steady State Intake Port Flow Data Using Digital Physics” SAE Paper No 1999-01-1183
- Amsden A.A. O'Rourke P.J. Butler T.D. KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays Los Alamos National Lab., Tech. Rep. LA-11560-MS 1989
- Amsden A. “KIVA-3: A KIVA Program with Block-Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries” Los Alamos National Laboratory 1993
- Bella G. De Maio A. Papetti F “Evaluation of an Auto Ignition Model for Diesel Engines: an Experiment-Driven Numerical Approach” ICE97 Experimental and Modeling Capri 17-20 Settembre 1997
- Andreassi L. Bella G. Bernaschi M. De Maio A. “Internal Combustion Engines Computationals Tools: Use and Development” ICE99 Experimental and Modeling Capri 12-16 Settembre 1999
- Bella G. De Maio A Pontoppidan M. Rocco V. Enhanced Use of 3D CFD Combustion Simulation to Optimize the Development of ECU Control Algorithms for GDI Spark Ignited Engines” ICE99 Experimental and Modeling Capri 12-16 Settembre 1999
- Bella G. De Maio A Schilardi M. Pontoppidan M. “New Trends in the Use of a Multi Purpose Numerical Simulation Tools to Optimize Combustion Control Parameters for the 2 nd Generation of Lean Burn Stratified GDI Engine”
- Bella G. De Maio A. Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. “Study of the Benefits and Drawbacks of a Substantial Increase of Rail Pressure in a GDI Assemblies” SAE Paper 2002 - 01 - 1132