This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flow Characterization of a High Performance S.I. Engine Intake System - Part 1: Experimental Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 03, 2003 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work an experimental analysis is performed to evaluate the influence of different flow bench test conditions and system configurations on the flow characteristics in the intake system of a high performance 4-valve, SI Internal Combustion Engine: valve lift, test pressure drop, throttle valve aperture, throttle valve opening direction in respect to the intake system layout (i.e. clockwise/counterclockwise), presence of the tumble adaptor. To this aim, experimental tests are performed on a Ducati Corse racing engine cylinder head, by measuring the discharge coefficient and the tumble coefficient.
The several experimental data obtained by combining the different operational and geometrical parameters are analysed and discussed. Since the flow pattern is widely dependent on the tumble condition onset, particular attention is given to the comparison between the dicharge coefficient values obtained in standard flow bench configuration and the ones measured by inserting the tumble adaptor for the tumble coefficient evaluation.
A marked dependence of the tumble coefficient on the throttle valve opening direction, evidenced at part load aperture, was also analysed by means of 3D numerical simulations.
CitationGrimaldi, C., Battistoni, M., and Postrioti, L., "Flow Characterization of a High Performance S.I. Engine Intake System - Part 1: Experimental Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0623, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0623.
Number: SP-1743; Published: 2003-03-03
Number: SP-1743; Published: 2003-03-03
- Arcoumanis, C. Hu, Z. Whitelaw, J. H. ‘Steady flow characterization of tumble-generating four-valve cylinder heads’ Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 207 203 210 1993
- Arcoumanis, C. Godwin, S. N. Kim, J. W. ‘Effect of Tumble Strength on Combustion and Exhaust Emissions in a Single-Cylinder, Four-valve, Spark-Ignition Engine’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 981044 1998
- Tsuzuku, H. Tsuchida, N. ‘Output and Fuel Consumption of Motorcycle Multi-Valve Engines’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 1999-01-0283 1999
- Jeon, C. H. Chang, Y. J. Cho, K. B. Kang, K. Y. ‘Effects of Intake Ports on In-Cylinder Flow and Lean Combustion in a 4-Valve Engine’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 981048 1998
- Andreassi, L. Bella, G. Bernaschi, M. De Maio, A. “Internal Combustion Engines Computationals Tools: Use and Development” ICE99 Experimental and Modeling Capri, Italy 12-16 September 1999
- Bella, G. De Maio, A. Pontoppidan, M. Rocco, V. “Enhanced Use of 3D CFD Combustion Simulation to Optimize the Development of ECU Control Algorithms for GDI Spark Ignited Engines” ICE99 Experimental and Modeling Capri, Italy 12-16 September 1999
- Bella G. De Maio A Schilardi M. Pontoppidan M. “New Trends in the Use of a Multi Purpose Numerical Simulation Tools to Optimize Combustion Control Parameters for the 2nd Generation of Lean Burn Stratified GDI Engine”
- Grimaldi, C. N. Carducci, F. Postrioti, L. Bella, G. Rotondi, R. Vignaroli, G. “Dependence of High Performance Engine Modelling on Discharge Coefficient” High Tech Engines and Cars, 7° International Congress May 2001 Modena, Italy Proceedings on CD-ROM
- Postrioti, L. “Experimental Characterisation of Discharge Coefficient and Tumble Motion in a Competition Engine Intake System” High Tech Engines and Cars, 8° International Congress May 2002 Modena, Italy Proceedings on CD-ROM
- Sclafani, L. Postrioti, L. “Numerical Analysis of a Fluid Flow in an Racing Motorcycle Intake System” “IASTED International Conference on Applied Simulation and Modelling (ASM 2002)” Special Session on Applied Simulation and Multi-dimensional Modelling of Internal Combustion Engines (ICEs) 25-28 June 2002 Crete, Greece
- Bella, G. De Maio, A. Grimaldi, C. N. “Flow Characterization of a High Performance S.I. Engine Intake System. Part 2: Numerical Analysis” 2003 SAE World Congress, SAE 2003-01-0632
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw Hill Book Company New York 1998
- Church, W. Farrel, P. V. ‘Effects of Intake Port Geometry on Large Scale In-Cylinder Flows’ SAE Technical Paper Series No. 980484 1998