This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Properties of Disc and Pad Materials and their Relation with Disc Brake Noise – An Experimental Investigation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 06, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this paper is to generate basic data about physical properties of disc and pad friction materials, and then correlate these data with results of disc brake noise evaluations. It is attempted to predict how variations in some characteristics of friction materials could affect their propensity to generate noise. At the end of the study, the goal is to point out a way in which the properties of counter friction materials could be changed to reduce the brake noise propensity.
|Technical Paper||Influence of Friction Law on Brake Creep-Groan|
|Technical Paper||Comparative Analysis of Vented Brake Discs in Groan Noise Test on Dynamometer|
|Technical Paper||Study on Disc Brake Groan|
CitationCanali, R. and Tamagna, A., "Evaluation of Properties of Disc and Pad Materials and their Relation with Disc Brake Noise – An Experimental Investigation," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2604, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2604.
- Mills, H. R. “Brake Squeak: First Interim Report” Institution of Automobile Engineers, Automobile Research Committee 1938
- Basford, P. R. Twiss, S. B. “Properties of Friction Materials II - Theory of Vibration in Brakes” Transactions of the ASME 407 410 February 1958
- Spurr, R. T. “Theory of Brake Squeal” The Institution of Mechanical Engineers Proceedings of the Automotive Division 1961-62 1
- Gouya, M. Nishiwaki, M. “Study of Brake Groan” SAE Paper Number 900007
- Earles, S. W. E. Soar, G. B. “Squeal Noise in Disc Brakes” Paper C100/71. Proc I. Mech. E. 1971
- Kitakuri, T. Murakami, H. Tsumada, N. “Study Concerned with a Mechanism of Disc-Brake Squeal” SAE Paper Number 841233
- Chen, F. Chen, S. Harwood, P. “In-Plane Mode Friction Process and Their Contribution to Disc Brake Squeal at High Frequency” SAE Paper Number 2000-01-2773
- Fieldhouse, J. D. “A Proposal to Predict the Noise Frequency of a Disc Brake Based on the Friction Pair Interface Geometry” SAE Paper Number 1999-01-3403
- Rhee, S. K. Tsang, H. S. Wang, Y. S. “Friction-Induced Noise and Vibration of Disc Brakes” Wear 133 39 1989
- Lang, A. M. Smales, H. “An approach to the solution of disc brake vibration problems” Paper C37/83. Proc I. Mech. E. 1983
- Jarvis, R.P. “Vibration of a disc induced by dry friction” University of Birmingham 1962
- Nosseir, T.A. Said, M.A.R. El Nahas, N.S. Abu El Fetouch, G. “Significance of squeal in disc brake design” Int. J. of Vehicle Design 19 1 124 133 1998