This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparative Analysis of Vented Brake Discs in Groan Noise Test on Dynamometer
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 10, 2004 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Noises in braking system have been classified according to its typology and frequency range. On the “groan” noises, a few studies have been published in comparison with other noises better known, such as “judder” and “squeal”.
Several studies have shown that during the rumble groan, the disc/pad interaction is exciting downstream component into resonance. Also, wheel order noise corresponds to the number of vanes in the rotor.
Different options to avoid this noise in a problematic brake system are focused on pads, brake discs or transmission path of the vibration. This document reflects how it is possible to eliminate the rumble noise working on the brake vane geometry.
CitationGonzález, M., Díez, R., and Cañibano, E., "Comparative Analysis of Vented Brake Discs in Groan Noise Test on Dynamometer," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2789, 2004, https://doi.org/10.4271/2004-01-2789.
- “NVH Reduction Trends” Automotive Engineering International Online
- Chen F. Quaglia R. L. Tan C. A. “On Automotive Disc Brake Squeal Part I: Mechanism and Causes” SAE Technical Papers 2003-01-0683
- Ioannidis P. Brooks P. C. Barton D. C. Nishiwaki M. “Brake system noise and vibration - a rewiew” International Conference Braking 2002 Professional Engineering Publishing 2002
- Krishnapur K. Luo J. Malinow I. Lock A. “Brake Rattle: Vibration and Noise Testing” SAE Technical Papers 2002-01-2608
- Brecht J. Schiffner K. “Influence of Friction Law on Brake Creep-Groan” SAE Technical Papers 2001-01-3138
- Dunlap K. Brent Riehle M. A. Longhouse R. E. “An Investigate Overview of Automotive Disc Brake Noise” SAE Technical Papers 1999-01-0142
- Vadari V. Jackson M “An Experimental Investigation of Disk Brake Creep-Groan in Vehicles and Brake Dynamometer Correlation” SAE Technical Papers 1999-01-3408
- Abendroth H. “Advances/Progress in NVH Brake Test Technology” SAE Technical Papers 982241
- Vikulov K. Tron B. Buonfico P. “Brake vibration and Disc Thickness Variation (DTV)” International Seminar on Automotive Braking Professional Engineering Publishing 1998
- Matsuzaki M. Izumihara T. Sasaki Y. and others “Study on Low-frequency Disc Brake Groan” SAE Technical Papers 9531660