This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electrohydraulic Valvetrain for Extreme Value Diesel Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One way to improve diesel engine performance and to reduce emissions is improving power density and combustion cycle efficiency. It can be done by increasing combustion pressure and engine speed drastically and also by improving the controllability of the engine. Besides of the fuel injection system the key element in improving controllability is the valvetrain.
Extreme combustion pressure and engine speed set special requirements for valvetrain design. As the pressure and engine speed are increased the load on the valve actuation mechanism becomes higher because of the higher pressure acting on the valve plate and also the need for higher acceleration. High instantaneous power required due to high load makes electrohydraulic system a natural choice for actuation mechanism.
An electrohydraulic camless valvetrain (IHAflex) for extreme value engine (EVE), developed by Institute of Hydraulics and Automation of Tampere University of Technology, uses neither cams, nor retainer springs. Both opening and closing is controlled by the means of the electrohydraulic system. Power consumption of the valvetrain is reduced by recovering the kinetic energy of the valve during deceleration. The electrohydraulic valvetrain has significant benefits in comparison to conventional design: valve motion can be controlled continuously and independently, space needed for valve actuation is reduced, valve opening and closing are faster and speed can be varied.
The first prototype of the IHAflex valvetrain will be installed on the experimental EVE at late 2001. Experimental engine used for testing has engine speed and combustion pressure approximately twice as high as in medium speed diesel engines currently in production. In the paper the first prototype system is introduced and its features are discussed. Also special features concerning electrohydraulic system and component design to meet these requirements are discussed in detail. Dynamic behaviour of the system is presented and discussed in the basis of simulation results.
CitationAaltonen, J., Huhtala, K., and Vilenius, M., "Electrohydraulic Valvetrain for Extreme Value Diesel Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1282, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-1282.
- Kallio A., Kleimola M., Introduction of the Extreme Value Engine Project, CIMAC 2001, paper 3A-07
- Lancefield T.,Methley I.,Räse U., Kuhn T., The Aplication of Variable Event Valve Timing to a Modern Diesel Engine, 2000, SAE paper 2000-01-1229
- Schechter M.M., Levin M.B., Camless Engine, 1996, SAE paper 960581
- Sturman Industries Inc, Camless Engine System Operated at 10 000 rpm, press release Feb 20,2001
- www.sturmanindustries.com, HVA - Hydraulic Valve Actuator
- Letsche U., Rehberger A., Iberle F, Hydraulic Valve Control Device, 1997, Daimler Benz A.G., patent US5595148
- Letsche U., Controllable Valve Operating Mechanism, 1998, Daimler Benz A.G., patent US5765515
- Roeker G.G., Electrohydraulische Kleppensturing op Verbrandingsmotoren, 1999, B&R Engineering B.V., report
- Barros da Cunha S., Hedrick J.K., Pisano A.P., Variable Valve Timing by Means of a Hydraulic Actuation, 2000, SAE paper 2000-01-1220
- Man B&W Diesel A/S, Commercial Breakthrough for Man B&W Diesel's Intelligent Engine, 1999, News from Man B&W Diesel Bulletin
- Man B&W Diesel A/S, Succesful Debut for the ‘Intelligent Engine’, 2000, News from Man B&W Diesel Bulletin
- Wärtsila NSD, Sulzer RT-flex Engine Breakthrough, press release Mar 7,2000
- Wärtsila NSD, The EnviroEngine Developments, press release Feb 23,2000
- Wennmacher G., Untersuchung und Anwendung schnellschaltender elektrohydraulischer Ventile für den Einsatz in Kraftfahrzeugen, 1996, Aachener Beiträge zum Kraftfahr- und Machinenwesen Band 9
- Roeker G.G., Digital Switching Hydraulic Control Valve with Pulse Modulated Control, 1992, International Fluid Power Exposition Readings
- Johnson B.G., Massey S.E., Sturman Digital Latching Valve, 2001, The Seventh Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, SICFP'01.
- Pohl J., Weitemeyer F., Krus P., Palmberg J-O., Validation of Checkvalve Models for Hydraulic Valvetrain Applications, 2001, The Seventh Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, SICFP'01.
- Imagine SA, AmeSim v3.0 user's manual, 2000
- Imagine SA, AmeSim v3.0 Hydraulics library html-documentation, 2000
- Imagine SA, AmeSim v3.0 Line Models html-documentation, 2000
- Imagine SA, AmeSim v3.0 HCD-library html-documentation, 2000