This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Control and Controllability of Electrohydraulic Valvetrain in High and Medium Speed Diesels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 09, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Body Engineering Conference & Exhibition and Automotive & Transportation Technology Congress
An electrohydraulic valvetrain for experimental engine, having power density twice the level of current production engines, has been developed by the Institute of Hydraulics and Automation of Tampere University of Technology. Valvetrain offers significant benefits in comparison to traditional cam actuated valvetrain to control of the engine and also to general engine design.
Applying an electrohydraulic subsystem for valve actuation into the engine, having speed range up to 1600 rpm and combustion pressure range up to 400 bar, sets speed and controllability requirements of the electrohydraulic system to very unusual level. Hydraulic system peak power of approx. 100 kW and the nominal actuation time of 6 ms make hydraulic component and both hydraulic and control system design very different from traditional hydraulic systems. Delays caused by single hydraulic components and hydraulic volumes as well as dynamics of them have much more significant effects on the performance of the complete system than in traditional hydraulic systems. Speed of the system also makes it impossible to utilize control strategies usually used in electrohydraulic systems but a completely new approach is needed.
The paper will give an indepth introduction to valvetrain and its control system design. Simulation models used in design, hardware-in-the-loop models for testing the control system and combined Amesim hydraulics model / Simulink control system model are discussed. Also the final valvetrain construction and dSpace control system are introduced.
CitationAaltonen, J. and Vilenius, M., "Control and Controllability of Electrohydraulic Valvetrain in High and Medium Speed Diesels," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2175, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-2175.
- Kallio A. Kleimola M. Introduction of the Extreme Value Engine Project 2001 paper 3A-07
- Lancefield T. Methley I. Räse U. Kuhn T. The Aplication of Variable Event Valve Timing to a Modern Diesel Engine 2000 SAE paper 2000-01-1229
- Schechter M.M. Levin M.B. Camless Engine 1996 SAE paper 960581
- Sturman Industries Inc Camless Engine System Operated at 10 000 rpm Feb 20 2001
- www.sturmanindustries.com HVA - Hydraulic Valve Actuator
- Letsche U. Rehberger A. Iberle F Hydraulic Valve Control Device 1997 Daimler Benz A.G.
- Letsche U. Controllable Valve Operating Mechanism 1998 Daimler Benz A.G.
- Roeker G.G. Electrohydraulische Kleppensturing op Verbrandingsmotoren 1999 B&R Engineering B.V.
- Barros da Cunha S. Hedrick J.K. Pisano A.P. Variable Valve Timing by Means of a Hydraulic Actuation 2000 SAE paper 2000-01-1220
- Man B&W Diesel A/S Commercial Breakthrough for Man B&W Diesel's Intelligent Engine 1999 Man B&W Diesel Bulletin
- Man B&W Diesel A/S Succesful Debut for the ‘Intelligent Engine’ 2000 Man B&W Diesel Bulletin
- Wärtsila NSD Sulzer RT-flex Engine Breakthrough Mar 7 2000
- Wärtsila NSD The EnviroEngine Developments Feb 23 2000
- Wennmacher G. Untersuchung und Anwendung schnellschaltender elektrohydraulischer Ventile für den Einsatz in Kraftfahrzeugen 1996 Aachener Beiträge zum Kraftfahr- und Machinenwesen Band 9
- Roeker G.G. Digital Switching Hydraulic Control Valve with Pulse Modulated Control 1992 International Fluid Power Exposition Readings
- Johnson B.G. Massey S.E. Sturman Digital Latching Valve 2001 The Seventh Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power
- Pohl J. Weitemeyer F. Krus P. Palmberg J-O. Validation of Checkvalve Models for Hydraulic Valvetrain Applications 2001 The Seventh Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power
- Pohl J. Sethson M. Krus P. Palmberg J-O The Use of Simulation Driven Experiments for the Conceptual Design of a Variable Valvetrain 2001 Proceedings 2 nd International Conference on Advanced Engineering Design Glasgow, UK
- Aaltonen J. Huhtala K. Vilenius M. Electrohydraulic Valvetrain for Extreme Value Diesel Engine 2002 SAE paper 2002-01-1282
- Herrin, R.J. Pozniak D.J. A Lost-Motion, Variable Valve-Timing System for Automotive Piston Engine SAE paper 840335
- Butzmann S. Melbert J. Koch A. Sensorless Control of Electromagnetic Actuators for Variable Valvetrain 2000 SAE paper 2000-1-1225