This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Knock on Heat Transfer in SI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Heat transfer to the walls of the combustion chamber is increased by engine knock. In this study the influence of knock onset and knock intensity on the heat flux is investigated by examining over 10 000 individual engine cycles with a varying degree of knock. The heat transfer to the walls was estimated by measuring the combustion chamber wall temperature in an SI engine under knocking conditions. The influence of the air-fuel ratio and the orientation of the oscillating cylinder pressure-relative to the combustion chamber wall-were also investigated.
It was found that knock intensities above 0.2 Mpa influenced the heat flux. At knock intensities above 0.6 Mpa, the peak heat flux was 2.5 times higher than for a non-knocking cycle. The direction of the oscillations did not affect the heat transfer.
CitationGrandin, B. and Denbratt, I., "The Effect of Knock on Heat Transfer in SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0238, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0238.
- König, G. Sheppard, C. G. W. “End Gas Autoignition and Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE paper 902135 1990
- König, G. Sheppard, C. G. W. Maly, R. R. Bradley, D. Lau, A. K. C. “Role of Exothermic Centres on Knockinitiation and Knock Damage” SAE paper 902136 1990
- Oppenheim, A.K. “The Knock Syndrome - Its Cures and Its Victims” SAE paper 841339 1984
- Pan, J. Sheppard, C.G.W. “A Theoretical and Experimental Study of the Modes of End Gas Autoignition Leading to Knock in S.I. Engines” SAE paper 942060 1994
- Pan, J. Sheppard, C. Tindall, A. Berzins Pennington, S. Ware, J. “End Gas Inhomogenity, Autoignition and Knock” SAE paper 982616 1998
- Lu, J.-H. Ezekoye, D. Iiyama, A. Greif, R. Sawyer, R. F. “Effect of Knock on Time-Resolved Engine Heat Transfer” SAE paper 890158 1989
- Harigaya, Y. Toda, F. Ohyagi, S. Tsuji, H. “Surface Temperature and Wall Heat Flux in a Spark-Ignition Engine Under Knocking and Non-Knocking Conditions” SAE paper 891795 1989
- Syrimis, M. Assanis, D. “Piston Heat Transfer Measurements Under Varying Knock Intensity in a Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE paper 971667 1997
- Syrimis, M. Shigahara, K. Assanis, D. “Correlation between knock intensity and heattransfer under light and heavy knocking conditions in a spark ignition engine” SAE paper 960495 1996
- Fitton, J. Nates, R. “Knock Erosion in Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE paper 962102 1996
- Maly, R.R. Klein, R. Peters, N. König, G. “Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Knock Induced Surface Destruction” SAE paper 900025 1990
- Grandin, B. Denbratt, I. Bood, J. Brackmann, C. Bengtsson, P.-E. Mauss, F. Gogan, A. Sundén B. “Heat Release in the End-Gas Prior to Knock in Lean, Rich and Stoichiometric Mixtures With and Without EGR” SAE paper 2002-01-0239 SAE 2002
- Grandin, B. “Knock in Gasoline Engines-the effects of mixture composition on knock onset and heat transfer” Chalmers University of Technology Gothenburg Sweden 2001 Grandin, B. Denbratt, I. Bood, J. Brackmann, C. Bengtsson, P.-E. “The effect of knock on the heat transfer in an SI engine: Thermal boundary layer investigation using CARS temperature measurements and heatflux measurements” SAE paper 2000-01-2831 2000
- Scholl, D. Russ, S. Davis, C. Barash, T. “The volume Acoustic modes of Spark-ignited Internal Combustion Chambers” SAE paper 980893 1998
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal combustion engine fundamentals” McGraw - Hill, inc. 1988
- Wimmer, A. Pivec, R. Sams, T. “Heat transfer to the Combustion Chamber and Port Walls of IC Engines - Measurement and Prediction” SAE paper 2000-01-0568 2000
- Grandin, B. Denbratt, I. Bood, J. Brackmann, C. Bengtsson, P.-E. “A Study of the Influence of EGR and Stoichiometry on the Heat Release in the End-gas Prior to Knock using Rotational CARS Thermometry” International Journal of Engine Research
- Philipp, H. Hirsch, A. Baumgartner, M. Fernitz, G. Beidl, Ch. Piock, W. Winklhofer, E. “Localisation of knock events in Direct Injection Gasoline engines” SAE paper 2001-01-1199 March 2001
- Philipp, H. Plimon, A. Fernitz, G. Fraidl, G. Winklhofer, E. “A tomographic camera system for combustion diagnostics in SI engines” SAE paper 950681 1995
- Zeldo'vich, YA.B. “Regime Classification of an Exothermic Reaction with Nonuniform Initial Conditions” Combustion and Flame 39 211 214 1980
- Westbrook, C. “Chemical Kinetics of Hydrocarbon Ignition in Practical Combustion Systems” 28th Combustion Institute Symposium Edinburgh 2000
- Withrow, L. Rassweiler, G. “Slow Motion Shows Knocking and Non-Knocking Explosions.” SAE Transactions 39 2 297 313 1936
- Glassman, I. “Combustion” 3:rd Academic Press 1996