This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Aerodynamics on Fuel Consumption of a Multivalve S-I Engine. Investigation of the Instantaneous Local Heat Transfer at Part Loads and Distinct Equivalence Ratios
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 01, 1997 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study is to outline the effects of aerodynamics on the heat losses of a S.I. multivalve engine and to link these results with the energetic efficiency of the engine. For that aim, we measured the local and instantaneous heat transfer in a 1.6 1 spark-ignited engine with several heat flux probes inserted in the cylinder head and in the liner of the combustion chamber. Two different cylinder heads were instrumented. They allowed to create distinct air motion configurations (baseline without structured flow, swirl and two levels of tumble). Furthermore, the pressure history was determined in the same cylinder than the heat transfer measurements. For all these configurations, we used a large range of operating conditions including several part loads, distinct equivalence ratios and two different engine speeds.
Local heat transfer measurements on firing conditions showed clearly that the cycle by cycle and spatial variations, are directly linked to the flame propagation and that local heat losses increase with swirl and tumble. Moreover, the fuel consumption of the S.I. engine increases with air motion at low loads and under lean-burn conditions. The tendency is more significant for a tumble configuration.
CitationSaulnier, J., Dupont, A., Rivere, J., and Jullien, J., "Effects of Aerodynamics on Fuel Consumption of a Multivalve S-I Engine. Investigation of the Instantaneous Local Heat Transfer at Part Loads and Distinct Equivalence Ratios," SAE Technical Paper 972938, 1997, https://doi.org/10.4271/972938.
- Trapy J. “Transferts Thermiques dans les Moteurs à Combustion Interne, Mesure et Modélisation” 1981 385 390
- Alkidas A.C. “Heat-Transfer Characteristics of a Spark Ignition Engine” A.S.M.E Journal of Heat Transfer 1980
- Alkidas A.C. Myers J.P. “Transient Heat-Release and Heat-Flux Measurements in the Combustion Chamber of a Spark Ignition Engine” A.S.M.E Journal of Heat Transfer 1982
- Alkidas A.C. Puzinauskas P.V. Peterson R.C. “Combustion and Heat Transfer Studies in a Spark-Ignited Multivalve Optical Engine” S.A.E. 900353
- Alkidas A.C. Suh In-Soo “The Effects of Intake-Flow on the Heat-Release and Heat-Transfer Characteristics of a Single-Cylinder Four-Valve S.I. Engine” S.A.E. 910296
- Gilaber P.C. Pinchon P. “Measurements and Multidimensionnal Modelling of Gas-Wall Heat Transfer in a S-I Engine” S.A.E. 880516
- Floch A. Van Frank J. Ahmed A. “Comparison of the effects of Intake-Generated Swirl and Tumble on Turbulence characteristics in a 4 Valve Engine” S.A.E. 952457
- Hayes T.K. White R.A. Peters J.E. “Combustion Chamber Temperature Instantaneous Local Heat Flux Measurements in a Spark Ignition Engine” S.A.E. 930217
- Harigaya Yasuo Toda Fujio Suzuki Michiyoshi “Local Heat Transfer on a Combustion Chamber Wall of a Spark-Ignition Engine” S.A.E. 931130
- Rivere J-P. “Consommation de Carburant, Bilan des Profils de Mission en X57”
- Liou T-M Santavicca D.A. “Cycle Resolved Turbulence Measurements in a Ported Engine With and Without Swirl” S.A.E. 830419
- Kudou H. Yamamoto H. Iida Y. “A study About In-Cylinder Flow and Combustion in a 4-Valve S-I Engine” S.A.E. 920574
- Wave 3.4 User's Manual
- Amsden A. O'Rourke P. Butler T. “KIVA II, A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays” Los Alamos National Laboratory May 1989