This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Knock on Heat Transfer in SI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 04, 2002 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Heat transfer to the walls of the combustion chamber is increased by engine knock. In this study the influence of knock onset and knock intensity on the heat flux is investigated by examining over 10 000 individual engine cycles with a varying degree of knock. The heat transfer to the walls was estimated by measuring the combustion chamber wall temperature in an SI engine under knocking conditions. The influence of the air-fuel ratio and the orientation of the oscillating cylinder pressure-relative to the combustion chamber wall-were also investigated.
It was found that knock intensities above 0.2 Mpa influenced the heat flux. At knock intensities above 0.6 Mpa, the peak heat flux was 2.5 times higher than for a non-knocking cycle. The direction of the oscillations did not affect the heat transfer.
CitationGrandin, B. and Denbratt, I., "The Effect of Knock on Heat Transfer in SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0238, 2002, https://doi.org/10.4271/2002-01-0238.
- König, G. and Sheppard, C. G. W., “End Gas Autoignition and Knock in a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE paper 902135, 1990.
- König, G., Sheppard, C. G. W., Maly, R. R., Bradley, D. and Lau, A. K. C. “Role of Exothermic Centres on Knockinitiation and Knock Damage” SAE paper 902136, 1990.
- Oppenheim, A.K., “The Knock Syndrome - Its Cures and Its Victims”, SAE paper 841339, 1984.
- Pan, J. and Sheppard, C.G.W. “A Theoretical and Experimental Study of the Modes of End Gas Autoignition Leading to Knock in S.I. Engines” SAE paper 942060, 1994
- Pan, J., Sheppard, C., Tindall, A., Berzins, Pennington, S. and Ware, J. “End Gas Inhomogenity, Autoignition and Knock” SAE paper 982616, 1998
- Lu, J.-H., Ezekoye, D., Iiyama, A., Greif, R. and Sawyer, R. F., “Effect of Knock on Time-Resolved Engine Heat Transfer”, SAE paper 890158, 1989.
- Harigaya, Y., Toda, F. Ohyagi, S. and Tsuji, H., “Surface Temperature and Wall Heat Flux in a Spark-Ignition Engine Under Knocking and Non-Knocking Conditions”, SAE paper 891795, 1989.
- Syrimis, M. and Assanis, D. “Piston Heat Transfer Measurements Under Varying Knock Intensity in a Spark-Ignition Engine”, SAE paper 971667, 1997
- Syrimis, M., Shigahara, K. and Assanis, D., “Correlation between knock intensity and heattransfer under light and heavy knocking conditions in a spark ignition engine”, SAE paper 960495, 1996.
- Fitton, J. and Nates, R. “Knock Erosion in Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE paper 962102, 1996.
- Maly, R.R., Klein, R., Peters, N. and König, G., “Theoretical and Experimental Investigation of Knock Induced Surface Destruction”, SAE paper 900025, 1990.
- Grandin, B., Denbratt, I., Bood, J., Brackmann, C., Bengtsson, P.-E., Mauss, F., Gogan, A. And Sundén B., “Heat Release in the End-Gas Prior to Knock in Lean, Rich and Stoichiometric Mixtures With and Without EGR”, SAE paper 2002-01-0239, SAE 2002.
- Grandin, B. “Knock in Gasoline Engines-the effects of mixture composition on knock onset and heat transfer”, PhD thesis, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg Sweden 2001. Grandin, B., Denbratt, I., Bood, J., Brackmann, C., Bengtsson, P.-E., “The effect of knock on the heat transfer in an SI engine: Thermal boundary layer investigation using CARS temperature measurements and heatflux measurements”, SAE paper 2000-01-2831, 2000.
- Scholl, D., Russ, S., Davis, C. and Barash, T. “The volume Acoustic modes of Spark-ignited Internal Combustion Chambers” SAE paper 980893, 1998.
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal combustion engine fundamentals” McGraw - Hill, inc., 1988.
- Wimmer, A., Pivec, R. and Sams, T. “Heat transfer to the Combustion Chamber and Port Walls of IC Engines - Measurement and Prediction” SAE paper 2000-01-0568, 2000.
- Grandin, B., Denbratt, I., Bood, J., Brackmann, C., Bengtsson, P.-E., “A Study of the Influence of EGR and Stoichiometry on the Heat Release in the End-gas Prior to Knock using Rotational CARS Thermometry”, Submitted to International Journal of Engine Research
- Philipp, H., Hirsch, A., Baumgartner, M., Fernitz, G., Beidl, Ch., Piock, W., Winklhofer, E., “Localisation of knock events in Direct Injection Gasoline engines”, SAE paper 2001-01-1199, March 2001
- Philipp, H., Plimon, A., Fernitz, G., Fraidl, G. and Winklhofer, E., “A tomographic camera system for combustion diagnostics in SI engines”, SAE paper 950681, 1995
- Zeldo'vich, YA.B., “Regime Classification of an Exothermic Reaction with Nonuniform Initial Conditions”, Combustion and Flame 39:211-214, 1980.
- Westbrook, C., “Chemical Kinetics of Hydrocarbon Ignition in Practical Combustion Systems” 28th Combustion Institute Symposium, Edinburgh 2000
- Withrow, L. and Rassweiler, G., “Slow Motion Shows Knocking and Non-Knocking Explosions.”, SAE Transactions, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp. 297-313, 1936.
- Glassman, I., “Combustion”, 3:rd ed. Academic Press 1996..