This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Benefits of Using Pre-Treated, Pre-Aged Aluminium 6xxx Sheet Material for Closure Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Weight reduction is the key argument for the application of aluminium in cars. However, the extra costs and its limited formability compared to steel slow down the increase in volume.
Application of dry lubricants improves the forming behavior as well as reduce the sensitivity to surface damage. A pre-treatment of the surface before assembly is necessary in order to guarantee a good durability of the joints. Cost optimization can be realized when downgauging possibilities of pre-aged material (Superlite®) having an improved bake-hardening response are utilized. A further possibility for cost optimization at the car manufacturer is created when the supplier performs all three processing steps (pre-ageing, pre-treatment and dry-lubricant) in one continuous annealing and surface pre-treatment line.
|Technical Paper||Effect of Strength of Steel Sheet on Frictional Behavior|
|Technical Paper||Diamond Chemical Vapor Deposition on Cutting Tools|
|Technical Paper||Aluminium Alloy Selection for Closures with Respect to Functional Demands|
CitationLahaye, C., Bottema, J., De Smet, P., and Heyvaert, S., "Benefits of Using Pre-Treated, Pre-Aged Aluminium 6xxx Sheet Material for Closure Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-3043, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-3043.
- Hirsch, J. “Aluminium - Leichtmetall - Bleche Fertigungsund Anwendungstechnik und Beispiele aus der Praxis” Proceedings Arbeitskreis Automobil-Leichtbau 8 9 February 2001
- Bleeker, R. Bottema, J. Sibson, J. Gehmecker, H. Johannpötter, O. “Filiform Corrosion of Painted Aluminium Body Sheet of Alloy AA6016 with Special Attention to the Alloying Element Copper” Proceedings ASST2000 2000
- Lahaye, C.T.W. Bottema, J. De Smet, P. Jonason, P. Håkansson, T. Olofsson, A. “Improved AA5182 aluminium alloy as a preferred choice for critical forming operations” Proceedings IBEC99 SAE Technical papers series 1999-01-3173 1999
- Courval, G.J. Allin, J. “Cosmetic corrosion of aluminum closure panels: Lab testing vs. field performance” Proceedings SAE 2000 SAE Technical paper series 2000-01-0064 2000
- Lahaye, C.T.W. Söderlund, J. ten Have, D. Schwenk, H. “Development of an aluminium prototype bonnet for Saab 9-3” Proceedings IBEC98 1998
- Ruifrok, R.W. et.al. “Static and dynamic dent resistance of steel, aluminium and hylite” EFB-Kolloquium 2000 22 23 February 2000
- Zhuang, l. et.al. “Improvement in bake hardening response of Al-Si-Mg alloys” Proceedings of ICAA7, Materials Science Forum 331-337 1309 1314 2000
- Carleer, B.D. Schouten, F.J. “Pneumo mechanical deep drawing of aluminium sheet” 1999
- Kridli, G.T. Friedman, P.A. Sherman, A.M. “Formability of aluminium tailor-welded blanks” Proceedings SAE 2000 SAE technical papers series, 2000-01-0772 2000
- An, Y. de Bruine, M. Zhuang, L. Vegter, H. “Methods for making tailored aluminium alloy blanks using local heat treatments” 2000
- Lahaye, C.T.W. et.al. “Influence of substrate texture on forming and paint appearance of aluminium sheet material” Proceedings IBEC'97 1997
- Pfestorf, M. “Tribology sheet metal forming” Proceedings Aluminium Umformen im Automobilbau 17 18 May Bad Nauheim 2001
- Larsson, J.K. Hanicke, L. “Multi-material approach with integrated joining technologies in the new Volvo S80” Proceedings IBEC99 1999