This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diamond Chemical Vapor Deposition on Cutting Tools
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 09, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The diamond thin films chemical vapor deposition (CVD) on sintered tungsten carbide (WC-Co) tools shows increasing interest in the technological research, due to rapid growing utilization of aluminum alloys, like Al-Si alloys, in the automotive industry. Sintered carbides, mainly diamond coated sintered carbides, are very suitable to machine aluminum alloys.
The cobalt binder that accounts for the WC-Co substrate toughness degrades the interface film-substrate, catalyzing the formation of graphite preferentially to diamond during the deposition process. In addition, stresses are generated in the interface between WC-Co substrate and deposited diamond film due to thermal expansion mismatch. These two factors are a technological neck to large-scale production of diamond CVD coatings for machining tools.
In this work, several interface pre-treatments were developed and applied resulting in high film-substrate adherence, adequate for machining tool purposes.
CitationBarquete, D., de Resende, L., Corat, E., Trava-Airoldi, W. et al., "Diamond Chemical Vapor Deposition on Cutting Tools," SAE Technical Paper 982876, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982876.
- ANGUS, J.C. Development of Low Pressure Diamond Growth in the United States. In: SPEAR, K.E. and DISMUKES, J.P. Synthetic Diamond: Emerging CVD Science and Technology. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1994. p.21-39.
- MATSUMOTO, S.; SATO, Y.; TSUTSUMI, M. and SETAKA, N. Growth of diamond particles from methane-hydrogen gas. J. Mater. Sci., v.17, p.3106- 12, 1982.
- YAZU, S. and NAKAI, T. Tool application of diamond and CBN. In: TZENG, Y.; YOSHIKAWA, M. and YOSHIMURA, H. Applications of Diamond and Related Materials. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., 1991. p.37-42.
- CORAT, E.J., TRAVA-AIROLDI, V.J., LEITE, N.F., NONO, M.C.A. and BARANAUSKAS, V. Diamond growth with CF4 addition in hot filament chemical vapor deposition. J. Mater. Sci., v.32, p.0001-7, 1997.
- GRANNEN, K.J. and CHANG, R.P.H. Diamond growth on carbide surfaces using a selective etching technique. J. Mater. Res., v.9, p.2154-63, 1994.
- BORGES, C.F.M.; MOISAN, M.; MARTINU, L.; TRAVA-AIROLDI, V.J. and CORAT, E.J. Effect of ion-assisted plasma pretreatment of WC-Co surface for enhanced diamond adhesion, 1997, submitted for publication.
- JINDAL, P.C.; QUINTO, D.T. and WOLFE, G.J. Adhesion measurements of chemically vapor deposited and physically vapor deposited hard coatings on WC-Co substrates. Thin Solids Films, v.154, p.361-75, 1987
- GRANNEN, K.J.; XIONG, F. AND CHANG, R.P.H. A comparison study of diamond films grown on tungsten carbide cobalt tool inserts with CH4 and CF4 gas sources. Surface and Coatings Technology, v.57, p.155-62, 1993.