This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization and Comparison of Two Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs) - Honda Insight and Toyota Prius
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 05, 2001 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: SAE 2001 World Congress
Two limited-production hybrid electric vehicles (HEVs) - a 1988 Japanese model Toyota Prius and a 2000 Honda Insight - were tested at Argonne National Laboratory to collect data from vehicle component and systems operation. The test data are used to analyze operation and efficiency and to help validate computer simulation models.
Both HEVs have FTP fuel economy greater than 45 miles per gallon and also have attributes very similar to those of conventional gasoline vehicles, even though each HEV has a unique powertrain configuration and operation control strategy. The designs and characteristics of these vehicles are of interest because they represent production technology with all the compromises for production included. This paper will explore both designs, their control strategies, and under what conditions high fuel economy was achieved.
|Technical Paper||In-Situ Mapping and Analysis of the Toyota Prius HEV Engine|
|Journal Article||Development of Power Control Unit for Compact-Class Vehicle|
|Technical Paper||MISAR-The Microprocessor Controlled Ignition System|
CitationDuoba, M., Ng, H., and Larsen, R., "Characterization and Comparison of Two Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs) - Honda Insight and Toyota Prius," SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1335, 2001, https://doi.org/10.4271/2001-01-1335.
- Duoba M. Larsen R. LeBlanc N. “Design Diversity of HEVs with Example Vehicles from HEV Competitions,” SAE Paper 960736 . SAE International Congress Detroit, MI 1996
- Hermance D. “Toyota Hybrid System,” 1999 SAE TOPTEC Conference Albany, NY May 1999
- Ecker H. Schwaderlapp M. Gill D.K. “Downsizing of Diesel Engines: 3-Cylinder/4-Cylinder,” SAE 2000--01-0990
- Stovell C. Matthews R. Johnson B. Ng H. Larsen R. “Emissions and Fuel Economy of 1998 Toyota with a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE 1990-1-1527
- Matthews R. Stovell C. Ng H. Larsen R. Johnson B. “Effects of Load on Emissions and NO x Trap/Catalyst Efficiency for a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE 1990-1-1528
- Rousseau A. et al. “Simulation and Validation of Hybrid Electric Vehicle Models,” Global Powertrain Congress June 2000
- Cuddy M. Burch S. Markel T. Rausen D. Sprik S. Wipke K. ADVISOR vehicle systems model
- Duoba M. Larsen R. “HEV Dynamometer Testing with State-of-Charge Corrections in the HEV Challenge,” SAE 960740 1996
- SAE HEV Test Procedure Task Force “Recommended Practice for Measuring Exhaust Emissions and Fuel Economy of Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” SAE J1711 1998
- Duoba M. Larsen R. “Investigation of Practical HEV Test Procedures with Prototypes from the 1997 FutureCar Challenge,” SAE 981080 1998
- Duoba M. Ng H. Larsen R. “In-Situ Mapping and Analysis of the Toyota Prius HEV Engine,” SAE 2000-01-3096 2000
- Higuchi N. Seminar at University of Maryland of Honda Insight Technology April 21 2000