This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
In-Situ Mapping and Analysis of the Toyota Prius HEV Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 21, 2000 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Prius is a major achievement by Toyota: it is the first mass-produced HEV with the first available HEV-optimized engine. Argonne National Laboratory's Advanced Powertrain Test Facility has been testing the Prius for model validation and technology performance and assessment. A significant part of the Prius test program is focused on testing and mapping the engine. A short-length torque sensor was installed in the powertrain in-situ. The torque sensor data allow insight into vehicle operational strategy, engine utilization, engine efficiency, and specific emissions. This paper describes the design and process necessary to install a torque sensor in a vehicle and shows the high-fidelity data measured during chassis dynamometer testing. The engine was found to have a maximum thermodynamic efficiency of 36.4%. Emissions and catalyst efficiency maps were also produced. The torque sensor and fast-response emissions measurement systems allowed special attention to engine start and shutdown that occur very frequently throughout the test cycle.
CitationDuoba, M., Ng, H., and Larsen, R., "In-Situ Mapping and Analysis of the Toyota Prius HEV Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-3096, 2000, https://doi.org/10.4271/2000-01-3096.
- Duoba M. Larsen R. LeBlanc N. “Design Diversity of HEVs with Example Vehicles from HEV Competitions,” SAE Paper 960736 . SAE International Congress Detroit, MI 1996
- Hermance D. “Toyota Hybrid System,” 1999 SAE TOPTEC Conference Albany, NY May 1999
- Ecker H. Schwaderlapp M. Gill D.K. “Downsizing of Diesel Engines: 3-Cylinder/4-Cylinder,” SAE 2000--01-0990
- Stovell C. Matthews R. Johnson B. Ng H. Larsen R. “Emissions and Fuel Economy of 1998Toyota with a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE 1990-1-1527
- Matthews R. Stovell C. Ng H. Larsen R. Johnson B. “Effects of Load on Emissions and NO x Trap/Catalyst Efficiency for a Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE 1990--1-1528
- Rousseau A. et al. “Simulation and Validation of Hybrid Electric Vehicle Models,” Global Powertrain Congress June 2000
- Cuddy M. Burch S. Markel T. Rausen D. Sprik S. Wipke K. ADVISOR vehicle systems model