This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Human Factors Challenges at the Helicopter-Ship Dynamic Interface
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper takes a total systems approach to the human factors challenges at the helicopter-ship dynamic interface. It examines the problems of operating large helicopters from small ships in all weather conditions from the start of the mission to completion with due emphasis on the launch and recovery phases. Research taking place at DERA Bedford in support of current and future naval operations is outlined. Although the prime focus is Royal Navy Anti-submarine Warfare operations, the paper also considers present and future maritime and marinised helicopter types.
The paper is written from the perspective of developing requirements and reducing risk by demonstrating technical solutions. The main focus of the paper is the recovery from completion of task to securing in the ship’s hangar. It addresses the aspects of automatic flight path management and flight control systems and the role of automation during the recovery process, particularly in the case of the single pilot aircraft. The performance advantages for the landing task at night and in poor visibility provided by ship mounted visual aids, both passive and active/sensor-based, are reviewed as is the use of Helmet Mounted Displays and modified aircraft head down cockpit displays.
The paper reviews the requirements, use of and the potential benefits of high fidelity simulation of all the elements of the helicopter-ship interface - the helicopter, the ship and the effects of the environment, including ship motion, airwake and reduced visual cues due to fog, spray and snow, for example. It also considers the role of piloted flight simulation in establishing the optimum handling requirements for maritime helicopters, supporting military aircraft release and predicting likely ship helicopter operating limits, the procurement specification of new types, practising new roles and procedures and continuation training.
Problems associated with securing the helicopter on deck before launch and after recovery, rearming and refuelling and manoeuvring on deck are also discussed.
|Technical Paper||Flight Management - The Real Man Machine Interface|
|Aerospace Standard||Lighting Applications for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)|
|Journal Article||Man Machine Interface Requirement Validation in Military Aircraft Certification|
CitationLumsden, R., Padfield, G., and Braby-Deighton, C., "Human Factors Challenges at the Helicopter-Ship Dynamic Interface," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-5607, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-5607.
- Newman, S.J. The Problems of Rotor Engagement and Disengagement of a Shipborne Helicopter Journal of Naval Science 20 1 1994
- Maloney, A.P. Lumsden, R.B. McIlroy P. UK Development of a High Integrity GPS Guidance Enhanced Receiver, paper to be presented at the Institute of Navigation 11th International Technical Meeting (GPS 98) Nashville, Tennessee Sept 15 - 18 1998
- Lumsden, R.B. Bradley, D.C. The Development and Flight Test Demonstration of an Integrated Automatic Recovery System to Reduce the Operational Limitations of Embarked Helicopters at Night and in Bad Weather paper presented at the 51st Annual Forum of the American Helicopter Society May 9 -11 1995 Fort Worth, Texas, USA
- Downes, M. Brown, Lt Cdr C. Helicopter Approaches using R-GPS and EFIS paper presented at the Royal Aeronautical Society Conference on Fixed and Rotary Wing All Weather Operations 23 - 24 April 1991
- Ball, W.E. Airflow tests on above-water trimaran form unpublished DERA report March 1998
- ATCOM Aeronautical Design Standard (ADS-33D) - Handling Qualities for Military Helicopters, US Army ATCOM 1994
- Padfield, G.D. Wilkinson, C.H. Handling Qualities Criteria for Maritime Helicopter Operations paper presented at the 53rd Annual Forum of the American Helicopter Society Virginia Beach, Va. April 1997
- Williams, S.L. Long, K.R. Dynamic Interface Flight Tests and the Pilot Rating Scale paper presented at the 53rd Annual Forum of the American Helicopter Society Virginia Beach, Va. April 1997
- Padfield, G.D. Helicopter Flight Dynamics Blackwell Science Oxford 1996
- Taylor, Lt Cdr C. Piloting aspects of helicopter/ship operations for single spot flight decks unpublished DERA report Dec 1996
- Smith, A.J. Visual aids for helicopter operations on small ships unpublished DERA report June 1992
- Tate, S..J. The development and application of novel visual aids to increase operational limits at the helicopter/ship dynamic interface paper presented at the American Helicopter Society 51st Annual Forum Fort Worth, Texas, USA 9-11 May 1995
- Maycroft, H. Assessment of advantages of ship mounted sensors for helicopter deck position versus visual cues available from an ELP based lighting system unpublished DERA report Nov 1997
- Lumsden, R.B. A review and critique of ship motion prediction systems for helicopter/ship operations in high sea states unpublished DERA report Dec 1997
- Lumsden, R.B. Ferrier, B. Alongside analysis of Type 23 Ship Motion as a Function of Mechanical and Dynamic Limits of an EH101 like helicopter using the Landing Period Designator Helicopter Recovery Device paper presented at the 51st American Helicopter Society Annual Forum Fort Worth, Texas, USA May 9 - 11 1995
- Manning, A.P. The assessment of the CL352 Landing Period Designator as a pilot aid for helicopter recoveries in high sea states unpublished DERA report June 1998
- Thorndycraft, D.C. Report on AFS Trial Pacific: Investigation of HMD symbology for deck landing unpublished DERA report December 1997
- Thorndycraft, D.C. Investigation of HMD symbology for helicopter/ship recovery Report on AFS Trial ISOLDE unpublished DERA report December 1997
- Cooper, G.E. Harper R.P., Jr The Use of Pilot Ratings in the Evaluation of Aircraft Handling Qualities NASA TM D-5133 1969
- Fitzjohn. D. Turner, G.P. Padfield, G.D. The Use of Modelling and Simulation in Support of First of Class Flying Trials paper presented at the 24th European Rotorcraft Forum Marseilles, France Sept 1998
- Wilkinson, C.H. Turner, G.P. The DERA Bedford Helicopter/ship dynamic interface simulation - final report unpublished DERA report August 1998