This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preliminary Project of the Autonomous Landing System for Unmanned Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The autonomous control of an aircraft under the flare and touch-down maneuvers is an interesting problem of both theoretical and practical nature. In this paper, a concept of the autonomous landing system (ALS) for unmanned air vehicles (UAV) is presented. The flight control system is addressed to the low-cost, civilian, medium-size UAV with relatively low approach speed and typical nose-wheel landing gear.
Final approach is executed automatically using differential GPS guidance system. When the flight control system selects the LANDING option at chosen altitude (based on GPS and pressure altitude), a change in aircraft’s attitude is executed. New attitude ensures safe flare and touchdown of the unmanned aircraft.
Flight control system is based on the model-following design technique. Two kinds of flight control systems are taken into consideration. The first solution is based on the optimal full-state feedback controller, the second one is the simplified controller, using the easy observed states for feedback loop only. The project of the autonomous landing system is addressed to the perspective UAV, however the prototype solution is testing on the general aviation aircraft board. The project calculation of the flight control system for PZL-110 “Koliber” aircraft, computer simulations and preliminary flight testing results will be presented.
|Technical Paper||Prediction of Susceptibility of Small Aircraft to Pilot-Induced Oscillations|
|Aerospace Standard||Lighting Applications for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)|
|Technical Paper||Three-Engine Two-Fan Navy Multimission V/STOL Aircraft Considerations|
CitationTomczyk, A. and Gruszecki, J., "Preliminary Project of the Autonomous Landing System for Unmanned Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-5524, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-5524.
- McLean D. 1990 Automatic Flight Control Systems. Prentice-Hall ISBN 0-13-054008-0
- Stevens B.L. Lewis F.L 1992 Aircraft Control and Simulation. J.Wiley & Sons, Inc. 0-471-61397-5
- Niewoehner R.J., Kaminer I.I. 1996 Design of an Autoland Controller for an F-14 Aircraft Using H ∞ Synthesis. AIAA J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 19 3 656 663
- Subrahmanyam M.B. 1994 H ∞ Design of F/A-18 Automatic Carrier Landing System. AIAA J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 17 1 187 191
- Lin C-F., 1997 Nonlinear H ∞ Flight Control System Design for Aircraft. AIAA 97-3697 AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, New Orleans, LA 1251 1259
- Shue S-P. Agarwal R.K. 1999 Design of Automatic Landing Systems Using Mixed H 2 /H ∞ Control. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 22 1, 103 114
- Miller W.T.III, Sutton R.S., Werbos P.J. 1992 Neural Networks for Control. Bradford Book, MIT Press, pp 403 426
- Lin C-F., et al. 1998 Autonomous Integrated Air Vehicle Control. 1998 World Aviation Conference, SAE/AIAA Paper 985518
- Steinberg M. 1992 A Fuzzy Logic Based F/A-18 Automatic Carrier Landing System. AIAA-92-4392
- Jung Y.C., Hess R.A. 1991 Precise Flight-Path Control Using a Predictive Algorithm. AIAA J. Guidance, Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, 14 5 936 942
- Blomenhofer H. 1996 Accuracy, integrity, and availability of GPS-based autopilot-coupled aircraft landings. Navigation, 43 4, 419 435
- Tomczyk A. 1998 Concept for Simplified Control of General Aviation Aircraft. AIAA-SAE Paper 985551 , 1998 World Aviation Conference, Anaheim, CA
- Kreindler E. Rothschild D. 1976 Model-Following in Linear-Quadratic Optimization. AIAA Journal, 14 7 835 842
- Tomczyk A. 1999 Digital Flight Control Systems. Rzeszów University Press, 83-7199-093-6
- Tomczyk A. 1994 Model following system application for the in-flight simulator control system synthesis. Tenth International Conference on Systems Engineering - ICSE’94, Coventry, England, 1254 1260
- Gill P.E., Murray W., Wright H.M. 1981 Practical Optimization. Academic Press
- Gruszecki J. - ed. 1998 Autonomous Guidance and Control Systems for Unmanned Flying Vehicle. Department of Control Systems Report, Rzeszów, Poland