This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Preliminary Project of the Autonomous Landing System for Unmanned Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The autonomous control of an aircraft under the flare and touch-down maneuvers is an interesting problem of both theoretical and practical nature. In this paper, a concept of the autonomous landing system (ALS) for unmanned air vehicles (UAV) is presented. The flight control system is addressed to the low-cost, civilian, medium-size UAV with relatively low approach speed and typical nose-wheel landing gear.
Final approach is executed automatically using differential GPS guidance system. When the flight control system selects the LANDING option at chosen altitude (based on GPS and pressure altitude), a change in aircraft’s attitude is executed. New attitude ensures safe flare and touchdown of the unmanned aircraft.
Flight control system is based on the model-following design technique. Two kinds of flight control systems are taken into consideration. The first solution is based on the optimal full-state feedback controller, the second one is the simplified controller, using the easy observed states for feedback loop only. The project of the autonomous landing system is addressed to the perspective UAV, however the prototype solution is testing on the general aviation aircraft board. The project calculation of the flight control system for PZL-110 “Koliber” aircraft, computer simulations and preliminary flight testing results will be presented.
|Technical Paper||Prediction of Susceptibility of Small Aircraft to Pilot-Induced Oscillations|
|Aerospace Standard||Lighting Applications for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)|
|Technical Paper||Three-Engine Two-Fan Navy Multimission V/STOL Aircraft Considerations|
CitationTomczyk, A. and Gruszecki, J., "Preliminary Project of the Autonomous Landing System for Unmanned Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-5524, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-5524.
- McLean D. (1990): Automatic Flight Control Systems.Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0-13-054008-0
- Stevens B.L.andLewis F.L (1992): Aircraft Control and Simulation. J.Wiley & Sons, Inc. ISBN 0-471-61397-5
- Niewoehner R.J.,Kaminer I.I. (1996): Design of an Autoland Controller for an F-14 Aircraft Using H∞ Synthesis. AIAA J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 656-663
- Subrahmanyam M.B. (1994): H∞ Design of F/A-18 Automatic Carrier Landing System. AIAA J. Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol.17, No. 1, pp. 187-191
- Lin C-F., (1997): Nonlinear H∞ Flight Control System Design for Aircraft. AIAA 97-3697, AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conference, , New Orleans, LA1251-1259
- Shue S-P.andAgarwal R.K. (1999): Design of Automatic Landing Systems Using Mixed H2/H∞ Control. Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol.22, No 1, pp. 103-114
- Miller W.T.III,Sutton R.S.,Werbos P.J. (1992): Neural Networks for Control. Bradford Book, MIT Press, pp. 403-426
- Lin C-F.,et al. (1998): Autonomous Integrated Air Vehicle Control.1998 World Aviation Conference, SAE/AIAA Paper 985518
- Steinberg M. (1992): A Fuzzy Logic Based F/A-18 Automatic Carrier Landing System. AIAA-92-4392
- Jung Y.C.,Hess R.A. (1991): Precise Flight-Path Control Using a Predictive Algorithm. AIAA J. Guidance, Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 936-942
- Blomenhofer H. (1996): Accuracy, integrity, and availability of GPS-based autopilot-coupled aircraft landings. Navigation, . vol43, No 4, pp. 419-435
- Tomczyk A. (1998): Concept for Simplified Control of General Aviation Aircraft. AIAA-SAE Paper 985551, 1998 World Aviation Conference, Anaheim, CA
- Kreindler E.andRothschild D. (1976): Model-Following in Linear-Quadratic Optimization. AIAA Journal, vol.14, No. 7, pp. 835-842
- Tomczyk A. (1999): Digital Flight Control Systems. Rzeszów University Press, ISBN 83-7199-093-6 (in Polish)
- Tomczyk A. (1994): Model following system application for the in-flight simulator control system synthesis. Tenth International Conference on Systems Engineering - ICSE’94, Coventry, England, pp. 1254-1260
- Gill P.E.,Murray W.,Wright H.M. (1981): Practical Optimization. Academic Press
- Gruszecki J. - ed. (1998): Autonomous Guidance and Control Systems for Unmanned Flying Vehicle. Department of Control Systems Report, Rzeszów, Poland (in Polish, unpublished)