This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Post-Warranty Distribution: A New Approach to Modeling the Reliability of Products with Built-In Obsolescence
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 13, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a proposed new statistical distribution which models product reliability in those situations where obsolescence is built in. Typically products in this class are designed so that very few failures occur prior to a predetermined point, after which the majority of units fail within a short timespan. From the reliability point of view automobiles are manufactured for a life span of five years, after which purchase of a new vehicle or a costly major overhaul is required. Examples are discussed which show that the Post-Warranty Distribution is the best fit for this situation.
CitationRobinson, P. and Okogbaa, O., "Post-Warranty Distribution: A New Approach to Modeling the Reliability of Products with Built-In Obsolescence," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-2861, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-2861.
- Ansell, J. I. Phillips M. J. Practical Methods for Reliability Data Analysis Oxford Clarendon Press 1994 31 32
- Bryc, Wlodzimierz The Normal Distribution New York Springer-Verlag 1995
- Edwards, Allen L. Statistical Methods 3 New York Holt, Rinehart and Winston 1973 47
- Gibra, Isaac Probability and Statistical Inference for Scientists and Engineers Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey Prentice-Hall 1973 148 180
- Kinney, John J. Probability; An Introduction With Statistical Applications New York John Wiley & Sons 1997 85 204
- Scheid, Francis Theory and Problems of Numerical Analysis New York McGraw-Hill 1968