This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Further Finite Element Analysis of Reciprocating Valve Stem Seals
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Off-Highway & Powerplant Congress & Exposition International Congress & Exposition
Axisymmetric static Finite Element (FE) models were used to study sealing geometric changes on valve stem seals (VSSs). FE analysis is used to characterise the deformation of the rubber seal, and the contact pressure distribution. The deformations were analysed using animation techniques. The research gives a first order approximation, revealing magnitude and direction of seal lip to valve stem contact. Finally, a hypothesis on the sealing and lubricating mechanism is proposed.
|Technical Paper||Finite Element Analysis of a Valve Stem Seal|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Study of Properties of Material for Reciprocating Valve Stem Seals|
|Technical Paper||Design and Life Performance of Valve Stem Seals|
CitationPham, D., Wang, J., Fern, A., and Mason-Jones, A., "Further Finite Element Analysis of Reciprocating Valve Stem Seals," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0885, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0885.
- Deuring H. Long-term behavior of valve stem seal in Otto & Diesel engines SAE Technical Paper 810292 International Congress & Exposition Cobo Hall Detroit, Michigan 1981
- Hirano F. Ishiwata H. The lubrication condition of a lip seal Proc. Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication Paper 15 Instn. Mech. Engrs 1965 138 147
- Flitney R. K. Factors affecting reciprocating seal performance 10 th International Conference on Fluid Power Brugge Belgium April 1993 153 179
- Flitney R. K. Nau B. S. Effects of surface finish on reciprocating seal performance 14 th International Conference on Fluid Sealing Firenze Italy 6-8 April 1994 505 517
- Green I. English C. Stresses and deformation of compressed elastomeric O-ring seals 14 th International Conference on Fluid Sealing Firenze Italy 6-8 April 1994 83 95
- Mori G. Umeki T. Ueno Y. Ohishi T. Engine valve stem seal, oil leakage control technology and performance SAE Technical Paper 960208 1996
- Hirabayashi H. Kawahara Y. Muto Y. Iida S. A study of lubrication characteristics on valve stem seals for automobile engines SAE Technical Paper 790350 Congress and Exposition Cobo Hall Detroit February 26 March 2 1979
- Fern A. G. Mason-Jones A. Pham D. T. Wang J. Finite element analysis of a valve stem seal SAE Technical Paper 98058 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan 23-26 February 1998 59 65
- Gabelli A. Ponson F. Poll G. Computation and measurement of the sealing contact stress and its role in rotary lip seal design 13 th International Conference on Fluid Sealing 1992
- Wang J. Integration of design techniques for automobile engine valve stem seals 1998
- Pham D. T. Wang J. Fern A. G. Mason-Jones A. Metered Leakage Prediction for Reciprocating Valve Stem Seals SAE Technical Paper 99PC-464 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan March 1 - 4 1999
- Fern A. Mason-Jones A. Coverdale N. Pham D. T. Wang J. Design and life performance of valve stem seals SAE Technical Paper 99PC-463 International Congress and Exposition Detroit, Michigan March 1 - 4 1999