This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Approach to Injection and Ignition Optimization of Lean GDI-Combustion Behavior
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published March 01, 1999 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The first part of the paper gives an overview of the current development status of the GDI system layout for the middle displacement engine, typically 2 liter, using the stoichiometric or weak lean concept. Hereafter are discussed the particular requirements for the transition to a small displacement/small bore engine working in stratified lean conditions.
The paper continues with a description of the application of the different steps of the optimization methodology for a 1.2 liter, small bore 4 cylinder engine from its original base line MPI version towards the lean stratified operation mode. The latest changes in the combustion model, used in the numerical simulation software applied to the combustion chamber design, are discussed and comparison made with the previous model. The redesign of the combustion chamber geometry, the proper choice of injector atomizer type and location and the use of two-stage injection and multi-spark strategies are discussed in detail.
The paper concludes with a discussion of the impact on the component industrialization layout of the specification requirements necessary to fulfill an optimized lean combustion behavior for the small displacement/small bore engine.
- M. Pontoppidan - Magneti Marelli - Engine Control Div.
- G. Gaviani - Magneti Marelli - Engine Control Div.
- G. Bella - Tor Vergata Univ., Department of Mechanical Engineering
- A. de Maio - Tor Vergata Univ., Department of Mechanical Engineering
- V. Rocco - Tor Vergata Univ., Department of Mechanical Engineering
CitationPontoppidan, M., Gaviani, G., Bella, G., de Maio, A. et al., "Experimental and Numerical Approach to Injection and Ignition Optimization of Lean GDI-Combustion Behavior," SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0173, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/1999-01-0173.
- Abraham J. Bracco F.V. Reitz R.D. “Comparison of Computed and Measured Premixed Charge Engine Combustion” Combustion and Flame 60 309 322 1985
- Allocca L. Corcione F.E. Golini S. Papetti F. “Measurement and Modeling of spray/wall Dynamics and Heat Transfer” 3rd Int. Kiva Users Meeting SAE Congress Detroit MI 1993
- Ando H. “Mitsubishi GDI Engine - Strategies to meet the European Requirement.” Proceedings from Engine and Environment Graz September 1997
- Amsden, A.A. O'Rourke, P.J Butler, C.D. “KIVA II A Computer Program for Chemical Reactive Flows with Sprays,” Los Alamos National Labs.
- Amsden, A.A. O'Rourke, P.J Butler “KIVA III: A KIVA Program with Block Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries” Los Alamos National Labs.
- Heywood J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals.” Mc-Graw Hill Book Co New York 1995
- Magnussen B. F. Hjertager B. H. Sixteenth Symposium (International) on Combustion The Combustion Institute Pittsburgh 1971 649 657
- Mantzares J. Felton P.G. Bracco f.V. “Fractals and Turbulent Premixed Engine Flames” Combustion” Combustion and Flame 77 295 310 1989
- North G.L. Santavicca D.A. “The Fractal Nature of Premixed Turbulent Flames”, Combustion” Combustion Science and Technology 72 215 253 1990
- Pontoppidan M. Bella G. Rocco V. “Mixture formation in SI-Engine intake Systems - A simplified theoretical Model with Experimental Verification.” ASME 1996 Spring Congress
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Direct Fuel Injection - A Study of Injector Requirements for Different Mixture Preparation Concepts” SAE Paper 970628
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Improvements of GDI-Injector Optimization Tools for Enhanced SI-Engine Combustion Chamber Layout.” SAE Paper 980494
- Preussner C. Döring C. Fehler S. Kampmann S. “GDI: Interaction Between Mixture Preparation, Combustion System and Injector Performance.” SAE Paper 980498
- Reitz, R. D. Kuo T. W. “Modelling of HC Emissions Due to Crevice Flows in Premixed Charge Engines” SAE Paper 892085
- Reitz, R.D. “Assessment of Wall Heat Transfer Models for Premixed-Charge Engine Combustion Computations” SAE Paper 910267
- Wirth M. Piock F. Fraidl G. K. Schoeggl P. Winklhofer E. “Gasoline DI Engines: The Complete System Approach by Interaction of Advanced Development Tools.” SAE Paper 980492
- Yang J. Anderson W. “Fuel Injection Strategies to Increase Full-Load Torque Output of a Direct-Injection SI-Engine.” SAE Paper 980495