This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Regimes of Premixed Turbulent Combustion and Misfire Modeling in SI Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A review of flame kernel growth in SI engines and the regimes of premixed turbulent combustion showed that a misfire model based on regimes of premixed turbulent combustion was warranted. The present study will further validate the misfire model and show that it has captured the dominating physics and avoided extremely complex, yet inefficient, models. Results showed that regimes of turbulent combustion could, indeed, be used for a concept-simple model to predict misfire limits in SI engines. Just as importantly, the entire regimes of premixed turbulent combustion in SI engines were also mapped out with the model.
CitationDai, W., Russ, S., Trigui, N., and Tallio, K., "Regimes of Premixed Turbulent Combustion and Misfire Modeling in SI Engines," SAE Technical Paper 982611, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982611.
SAE 1998 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V107-4 ; Published: 1999-09-15
Number: V107-4 ; Published: 1999-09-15
- Dai, W., Flory, M.S. and Trigui, N., “Prediction of Misfire Limits in SI Engines using a Quasi-Dimensional Model,” 98VR050, proceedings of 31st ISATA, Dusseldorf, Germany, June 2nd-5th, 1998
- Heywood, J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill International Edition, 1988.
- Martin, J.K., Plee, S.L., and Remboski, D.J., “Burn Modes and Prior-Cycle Effects on Cyclic Variations in Lean-Burn SI Engine Combustion,” SAE Paper 880201.
- Ozdor, N., Dulger, M. and Sher, E., “Cyclic Variability in Spark-Ignition Engines - A Literature Survey,” SAE Paper 940987
- Hacohen, J., Belmont, M.R., Thurley, R.W.F., et al., “Experimental and Theoretical Analysis of Flame Development and Misfire Phenomena in SI Engine,” SAE Paper 920415
- Herweg, R. and Maly, R.R., “A Fundamental Model for Flame Kernel Formation in SI Engines,” SAE Paper 922243
- Abdel-Gayed, R.G., Bradley, D. and Lung, F.K.-K., “Combustion Regimes and the Straining of Turbulent Premixed Flames,” Combustion and Flame 76: 213-218 (1989)
- Williams, F.A., “Criteria for Existence of Wrinkled Laminar Flame Structure of Turbulent Premixed Flames,” Combustion and Flame 26: 269-270 (1976)
- Bray, K.N.C., “Turbulent Flows with Premixed Reactants in Turbulent Reacting Flows,” in Topics in Applied Physics (ed. Libby P.A. and Williams F.A.), vol.44, p.115. Springer, 1980.
- Williams, F.A., Combustion Theory, Addison-Wesley, 2nd Edition, 1985
- Abraham, J., Williams, F.A. and Bracco, F.V., “A Discussion of Turbulent Flame Structure in Premixed Charges,” SAE Paper 850345
- Borghi, R., “On the Structure and Morphology of Turbulent Premixed Flames,” in Recent Advances in the Aerospace Sciences (Bruno C. and Casci C., Eds.), Plenum Press, New York, 1985
- Peters, N., “Laminar Flamelet Concepts in Turbulent Combustion,”, 21st Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, pp.1231-1250, 1986
- Poinsot, T., Veynante, D. and Candel, S., “Quenching Processes and Premixed Turbulent Combustion Diagrams,” J. Fluid Mech. (1990), vol. 228, pp.561-606
- Roberts, W.L., Driscoll, J.F., Drake, M.C. and Goss, L.P., “Images of the Quenching of a flame by a Vortex - To Quantify Regimes of Turbulent Combustion,” Combustion and Flame 70: 56-69 (1993)
- Tabaczynski, R.J., Ferguson, C.R. and Radhakrishnan K., “A Turbulent Entrainment Model for SI Engine Combustion,” SAE Paper 770647.
- Borgnakke, C., Arpaci, V.S. and Tabaczynski, R.J., “A Model for the Instantaneous Heat Transfer and Turbulence in a Spark Ignition Engine,” SAE Paper 800287
- Borgnakke, C., Davis, G.C. and Tabaczynski, R.J., “Predictions of In-Cylinder Swirl Velocity and Turbulence Intensity for an Open Chamber Cup-In-Piston Engine,” SAE Paper 810224
- Dai, W., Davis, G.C., Hall, M.J. and Matthews, R.D., “Diluents and Lean Mixture Combustion Modeling for SI Engines with a Quasi-Dimensional Model,” SAE Paper 952382
- Chung, S.H. and Law, C.K., “An Integral Analysis of the Structure and Propagation of Stretched Premixed Flames,” Combustion and Flame 72: 325-336 (1988)
- Tennekes, H. and Lumley, J.L., A First Course in Turbulence, The MIT Press, 1973