SAE MOBILUS Help Resources
I need Help with...
Frequently Asked Questions:
- aerospace standards
- ground vehicle standard
- aerospace material specifications
- technical papers
SAE reserves the right to copyright any of its print products, electronic products, databases, audio/visual products and any other subject matter. For more information, please refer to our Intellectual Property Policy information on the SAE International website at https://www.sae.org/about/legal-policies/.
A link to the SAE Legal Polices is available in the footer of every SAE MOBILUS page. Or, please visit the SAE International site at https://www.sae.org/about/legal-policies/.
Photocopying or republishing SAE International copyrighted material in another work, in whole or part, without written permission from SAE International is strictly prohibited, and is a violation of US and international copyright laws. To review and obtain copyright permission please visit the Copyright Guideline page at https://www.sae.org/about/legal-policies/.
Content within the SAE MOBILUS platform is updated as content becomes available. An RSS link is available in the header that will provide weekly updates on all new content added to the platform. In addition, notifications concerning updates made to standards is available. This feature is available as part of the personalized Dashboard and available free with every subscription.
A historical standard is a document that is no longer the most current version of a given SAE Standard. Historical standards are available for many current Aerospace Standards, Aerospace Material Specifications, and Ground Vehicle (J-Reports) SAE Standards.
The status of standards could reflect the following:
- Revised: An active technical report has been updated and republished. Subject to 5-year review.
- Issued: the first time a technical report is published. Subject to 5-year review.
- Stabilized: AA technical report that has been "frozen" at the last active revision level. 5-year review is not required.
- Reaffirmed: A technical report which has been reviewed by the technical committee and determined to be current with no need for immediate revision. Subject to 5-year review.
- Cancelled: A technical report that is deemed "not fit for use" due to technical reasons or when its technical requirements are totally superseded by another document. 5-year review is not required.
Email notifications are available for all standards saved as a "Favorite". This means, that if the standard is a "Favorite" and a new revision to the standard is published, an automatic email will be generated. The notification capability of the platform will be expanded in the future to include additional content types. For additional information on "Favorites" and notifications, please visit the SAE MOBILUS user guide.
Individual SAE papers, standards, and ebooks are available for purchase at: https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/, https://www.sae.org/publications/standards, https://www.sae.org/publications/books/, and https://www.sae.org/news/magazines/. As a SAE MOBILUS subscriber you can conveniently purchase full text documents that are not in your subscription. To expand your content, contact SAE Customer Sales: 1.888.875.3976 (U.S. & Canada only) • 1.724.772.4086 (outside U.S. & Canada) • firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact an SAE International Sales Representative:
(p) 1-888-875-3976 (US)
(p) 1-724-772-4086 (Outside US)
Yes. SAE MOBILUS is a subscription based platform that requires a login via automatic IP authentication, Single Sign On, Federated Identity or via a username and password provided to you through your administrator. SAE MOBILUS also provides a personal Dashboard, which allows customization of the platform and experience. The Dashboard requires a separate login process and is available free with every subscription.
File sizes vary because document size ranges from a few pages to over one hundred pages. Because of this, download times vary a lot and are also dependent on the speed of your Internet connection.
Finance Information for SAE Collegiate Chapters including Federal Tax ID, Bank Account information, W-9 Forms , etc. can be found at the following location: .
Yes. SAE MOBILUS is integrated with Shibboleth. SAE International is currently registered as a service provider with the following federations: UK Access Management Federation, InCommon Federation, OpenAthens Federation and DFN-AAI Federation. Please contact us directly to request access through other federations.
For technical assistance, please contact customer service and they will properly direct your inquiry:
(p) 1.724.776.4970 (Outside U.S. and Canada)
Customers attempting to access SAE MOBILUS utilizing an EZProxy server have reported the following error message: "Connection refused by https://saemobilus.sae.org/Please try again later".
Please follow the steps below to diagnosis and correct the situation.
- Check Firewall settings to ensure that SAE MOBILUS is not blocked.
- Try to access https://saemobilus.sae.org/ without the EZProxy link on the EZProxy server.
- Check if SSL Certificate is installed for the EZProxy server. Please refer to this link for details: https://www.oclc.org/support/services/ezproxy/documentation/cfg/ssl.en.html#par_text_title
- Run https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html on the EZProxy Server to see if client supports TLS 1.2
If you still experience problems, then there is a TLS mismatch. To access SAE MOBILUS, your EZProxy server should support TLS 1.2. Currently, EZProxy version 6.1.16 with OpenSSL 1.0.2d is the only version of EZProxy that supports TLS 1.2.
SAE MOBILUS allows organizational login utilizing single sign-on via Shibboleth. Participating Federations include DFN-AAI, InCommon, OpenAthens and UK Access Management Federations.
Shibboleth is a standards based, open source software package enabling web-based single sign-on authentication across or within organizational boundaries. The Shibboleth® technology delivers single sign-on and federated administration of protected resources. Information is exchanged between an SAE International customer (Identity Provider) and the SAE MOBILUS platform (Service Provider), allowing seamless access to SAE content without providing additional login credentials.
Key benefits to customers and end-users are three-fold:
- Administrative Convenience – it will reduce the number of login credentials a user has to remember to access external resources that their library has provided to them, reducing the burden of username/password administration.
- Easier Resource Administration – users will not have to manage access to the SAE Digital Library differently from other library resources. One username/password works for all without the library managing anything.
- User Convenience – university's current access to the SAE Digital Library via IP authentication and/or username and password remains unchanged. Shibboleth access is one more convenient way for users to get to SAE International's content.
To obtain Institutional access, please complete the Institutional Access Sign-up Form
SAE MOBILUS is compatible with all current versions of major browsers including, but not limited to, Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari.
Search TipsPlease note: All terms not contained within quotes, will be evaluated using the OR operator. This means that your search results will contain all results that contain ANY of the entered terms.
AND, OR, NOT
SAE MOBILUS™ supports the use of the AND, OR and NOT BOOLEAN operators ONLY function with the Advanced Search capabilities of SAE MOBILUS.
- AND: the results will contain all terms joined by AND. For example, volvo AND safety, would return results that contain both the words volvo AND safety.
- OR: the results will contain either term(s) joined by OR. For example, volvo OR safety, would return results that contain the terms volvo OR safety . This would increase the results returned when compared to using the AND operator.
- NOT: The results will not contain the term(s). For example, volvo NOT safety would return all results that contain the word volvo, and do NOT contain the word safety.
Using the asterisk, ( * ) allows you to search for a partial word. For example, entering a keyword search of aero* will search for any word beginning with aero. The results would include such words as aerospace, aerodynamics, etc.
Using the question mark, ( ? ) allows you to search for a word with a single character wildcard. For example, searching for t?re would match both tire and tyre
Words in double quotes " " are treated as a phrase. Conducting a search for "heat model" will return all results in which the exact phrase "heat model" is found, while "heat modeling" would NOT be included. Using double quotes can help to target your search and reduce your results.
A term combined with a phrase will be joined with an OR operator. Therefore, a search for automatic "dog clutch" will return results for automatic OR "dog clutch" which would increase the total number of results.
Phrases in quotes will be evaluated with the following rules:
- search is case insensitive: "Dog Clutch" is not the same as "dog clutch"
- extra spaces between words will be ignored: "dog clutch" is the same as "dog clutch"
- words are diacritic insensitive: café is equivalent to cafe and vice versa
- wildcards within quotes do not work
- search terms do not expand: model will not be expanded to search for modeling.
Words that are not in quotes will be evaluated with the following rules:
- search term expanding: model will be expanded to include model, modeling, models and vice versa
- search is case insensitive
- extra spaces between words will be ignored
- words are diacritic insensitive: café is equivalent to cafe and vice versa
Searching for Specific Content:
Searching for Standards
When searching for a standard please use the entire Document Number assigned, which includes the abbreviation. A space can be used, or omitted between the abbreviation and number. For example:
- Aerospace Materials Specification: AMS3903 or AMS 3903
- Ground Vehicle Standard: J2940 or J 2940
- Aerospace Standard: AS9162 or AS 9162
When searching for a document that is Cross Referenced, use the available search field drop down and select "Cross Reference Number". For example, to find documents which reference ASTMe10, search on ASTMe10 and the dropdown search field would be set to Cross Reference Number. This will yield search results in which ASTMe10 is cross referenced or cited.
For journals and technical papers, please use the "Citing References" link available on the Summary and Detail page of a specific document. For standards, please use the "Cross Reference" link available on the Summary and Details page of a specific document.
Searching for Event Content
When searching for papers that are associated with a specific event, please search using the full event name. Enter the full event name, and set the attribute drop down to "Meeting Name". Sample event names are as follows:
- Convergence International Congress & Exposition On Transportation Electronics
- SAE 2016 Convergence
- SAE 2001 Noise & Vibration Conference & Exposition
- SAE 2016 World Congress
Searching by Committee
Enter a search term and launch the search. Once the search has been executed, use the available Committee Facet, available in the left filter options to narrow your results.
Enhancements to Search:
- Document Number Detection has been added which allows the system to disregard special characters (hyphen, slash) and spacing when followed by a recognized standard prefix. For example, AMS3903, AMS 3903, AMS-3903 and AMS/3903.
- Saved Search, Search History and Recent Activity will display a truncated version of filters applied. Moving your mouse over the search history item will show the entire criteria for that search.
Launched in June 2016, SAE MOBILUS is a Software as a Service (SaaS) Platform that serves as a doorway to a wealth of mobility engineering resources provided by SAE International.
SAE MOBILUS, allows our customers to have instant digital access to 35,000 aerospace and ground vehicle standards along with over 100,000 other pieces of mobility content including eBooks, Technical Papers, Magazines and Journals.
Open Access Policy
SAE International journals are hybrid and offer both Gold and Green Open Access options,. Articles are freely available to both subscribers and the wider public with permitted reuse for Gold Open Access. An Open Access publication fee is payable by authors or their research funder. Your publication choice will have no effect on the peer-review process or acceptance of your submission.
Gold (Immediate) Open Access
SAE International offers authors an option for Gold Open Access in publishing their research. Authors who require their articles to be available immediately upon publication online may pay the Article Publication Charge (APC) once they receive email notification that their article has been approved for publication after the peer-review process (contact: email@example.com).
All articles published Gold Open Access will be permanently free for everyone to read and download. We offer authors a choice of user licenses, which define the permitted reuse of articles, according to the following options:
- Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial (CC BY-NC)
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives (CC BY-NC-ND)
If an author requires a different license, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open Access Publication Fee
To provide Gold Open Access, SAE's journals have a publication fee (APC) of US$600 per article, which will be paid by the authors or their research funders.
Authors sign a license agreement, whereby authors (or their funders) retain copyright but license rights in their article to SAE International. In this case, authors retain the right to:
- Share their article permitted under the relevant assignment of rights, as long as the shared article contains a DOI link to the version of record on SAE International's digital library, called SAE MOBILUS®
- Retain patent, trademark, and other intellectual property rights (including research data)
- Have proper attribution and credit for the published work
Green (Delayed) Open Access
Authors may choose a delayed Open Access (green) option by self-archiving their accepted manuscript (but not the final typeset version) in the institutional repository of their higher education employer and/or in subject-based repositories (but not posted to networking sites of a personal, institutional, or social nature), subject to a 6-month embargo period and proper credit to SAE International.
For questions, please contact: email@example.com.
SAE MOBILUS Translations:
Translations on the SAE MOBILUS platform are performed by Google Translate and are offered as a convenience. By selecting to translate a language from the available drop-down menu, the user interface of the SAE MOBILUS platform will be translated into the selected language.
If you would like to request a translation be included on the SAE MOBILUS platform, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Google Translate?
Google Translate is a free translation service provided by Google that provides instant translations between different languages. Google Translate cannot translate all types of documents, and may not provide an exact translation.
How does Google Translate Work?
Google Translate are dynamic translations through the use of technology and as such may contain inaccuracies. Since the translations are by machine, they should not be considered exact. English language is the original language of all aspects of the user interface.
Some items cannot be translated, including but not limited to image buttons, drop down menus, graphics, photos, or portable document formats (pdfs).
As described by Google, the Google Translate service may NOT accurately translate the SAE MOBILUS interface, due to the limitations of Google's machine-generated translation. Use of the service is not intended to replace professional human translators.
SAE International does not make any promises, assurances, or guarantees as to the accuracy of the translations provided.
SAE MOBILUS COUNTER REPORTING
What is COUNTER?
COUNTER is a code of practice that ensures publishers are providing customers with consistent, credible, and comparable usage data (https://www.projectcounter.org/) .
SAE discontinued COUNTER 3 Reporting on December 31, 2016; however, these reports are still viewable for historical reporting.
Starting January 1, 2017, SAE now uses COUNTER4 Reporting via SAE MOBILUS.
Who has access to COUNTER?
Individuals listed as an Administrator on the SAE MOBILUS subscription, have access to COUNTER reporting through the Dashboard.
Please see the SAE MOBILUS Administrator Guide for detailed information.
What is the difference between COUNTER 3 and COUNTER 4?
The SAE Digital Library offered COUNTER 3 reporting, and SAE MOBILUS has been updated to provide COUNTER 4 reporting.
- COUNTER 3 contained very limited usage information based on the type of items downloaded
- COUNTER 4 contains more specific information regarding specific content download usage
COUNTER 4 was available on SAE MOBILUS January 1,2017 and contains data from December 2016 to present. COUNTER 3 usage data were no longer generated as of December 30, 2016.
At this time, SAE is NOT COUNTER 4 compliant.
What Reports are Available with COUNTER 4?
|Report Title||Report Description|
|Book Report 1||Number of Successful Title Requests by Month and Title|
|Book Report 3||Access Denied to Content Items by Month, Title and Category|
|Book Report 4||Access Denied to Content Items by Month, Title and Category|
|Database Report 1||Total Searches, Result Clicks and Record Views by Month and Database (Equivalent of the COUNTER3 DB1 Report)|
|Database Report 2||Access Denied by Month, Database and Category|
|Journal Report 1||Number of Successful Full-Text Article Requests by Month and Journal (Equivalent of the COUNTER3 JR1 Report)|
|Journal Report 2||Access Denied to Full-Text Articles by Month, Journal and Category|
|Journal Report 5||Number of Successful Full-Text Article Requests by Year of Publication (YOP) and Journal|
|Multimedia Report 1||Number of Successful Multimedia Full Content Unit Requests by Month and Collection|
|Platform Report 1||Total Searches, Result Clicks and Record Views by Month and Platform|