Principles of Metallurgy
What Will You Learn
- Explain the relationship between a metal’s properties and its composition, microscopic structure, and the manufacturing processes used to fabricate the metal
- Describe three types of microscopic structures present in metals
- Explain how cold working, alloying, and heat treating are used to strengthen a metal
- Explain the microstructure and property changes that occur in cold worked metals during annealing, in steels during through hardening, and during precipitation strengthening heat treatments
- Relate the heat treatment time and temperature to the microscopic structures and properties of through hardened steels, cold-worked metals, and precipitation strengthened alloys
Is This Course For You
This course is targeted towards design, manufacturing, and quality engineers, and sales people and purchasing agents with technical backgrounds.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the Requirements tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the four hour presentation
- Course handbook (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Proof of Participation (Transcript)
- Windows 7, 8, 10 (other operating systems and mobile platforms are not supported but may work)
- Internet Explorer 11, Mozilla Firefox 37, Google Chrome 42 (other browsers are not supported but may work)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum
- Microscopic structures
- Crystal defects
- Cold Working
- Solid Solution strengthening
- Precipitation Strengthening Heat Treatment
- Steel and Steel Heat Treating