Patent Litigation in the U.S.: What You Need to Know
This web seminar focuses on the intricacies of patents, patent infringement litigation, and patent licensing. Participants will explore the important subjects of obtaining U.S. and foreign patents, maintaining U.S. and foreign patent rights, enforcing patent rights, defending against patent rights asserted by competitors, and licensing patent rights for revenue. After this course, you will effectively understand patents and ways to protect and monetize your company's valuable inventions. Your new knowledge will help your company maintain and enhance its position in the an increasingly competitive marketplace.
What Will You Learn
- Explain U.S. patent rights, including how patents are obtained and maintained
- Provide an overview of U.S. patent litigation, including recent changes under the The Leahy-Smith America Invents Act (AIA)
- Anticipate the scope of discovery in and avoid the potential business disruption arising from a U.S. patent case
- Explain the basic legal principles for liability and damages in patent cases
- Describe how patent disputes are resolved
- Predict the fees and expenses associated with bringing and/or defending a patent case in the U.S.
- Peek into the future of potential patent law reform
Is This Course For You
This course is geared toward executives, in-house counsel, in-house patent agents, and senior managers across industries, including automotive and aerospace. Participants may be both U.S. and non-U.S. -- anyone who needs help in understanding what to expect and what the practical realities are should they become involved in U.S. patent litigation.
This course complements the Patent Litigation Risk Management Toolkit web seminar, which provides practical guidance to help keep businesses out of patent infringement litigation.
*Global toll-free telephone numbers are provided for many countries outside the U.S., but are limited to those on the WebEx call-in toll-free number list. Check here to see if your country has a global call-in toll free telephone number for this web seminar. If your country is not listed, you may still connect using the US/Canada Call-in toll number or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
Although WebEx Training Manager will automatically launch when you join the web seminar, you or your system administrator are encouraged to download the plug-in in advance to help ensure successful setup. Click here, then follow the onscreen instructions.
- Overview of Patent Litigation
- Recent headlines
- Scope of patent protection
- Issues the patent-owner has to prove
- Issues the accused infringer has to prove
- What is the Scope of Discovery?
- Documents, including e-documents
- Third parties (e.g. customers, suppliers)
- Confidentiality of discovery materials
- How Are Liability and Damages Decided?
- How Long Does it Take from Filing to Trial?
- District Courts
- How Much Does it Cost?
- Fees and expenses
- Contingency fees
- Recovery of fees and expenses
- Practical Issues in Patent Licensing
- Exclusivity considerations
- Other permissable limitations
- Royalty calculations
- What Changes are on the Horizon?
- Supreme Court
- Patent law reform