This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Next Steps for the IIHS Side Crashworthiness Evaluation Program
Published July 08, 2019 by The Stapp Association in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Abstract - IIHS has been conducting side impact crash tests since 2003. To understand how the side crashworthiness program can be enhanced, an ongoing research effort is focused on understanding the correlation between IIHS ratings and driver death rate. In addition, the performance of good-rated late-model vehicles has been assessed in higher severity side crash tests. The purpose of this short communication is to summarize the ongoing work and potential next steps toward developing a new crash test procedure or updating ratings criteria to further advance side crashworthiness.
CitationArbelaez, R., Mueller, B., Brumbelow, M., and Teoh, E., "Next Steps for the IIHS Side Crashworthiness Evaluation Program," SAE Technical Paper SC18-22-0002, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/SC18-22-0002.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Arbelaez , R.A. , Baker , B.C. , and Nolan , J.M. 2005 Delta Vs for IIHS side impact crash tests and their relationship to real-world crash severity Proceedings of the 19th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Washington DC
- Brumbelow , M.L , Mueller , B.C. , and Arbelaez , R.A. 2015 Occurrence of serious injury in real-world side impacts of vehicles with good side-impact protection ratings Traffic Injury Prevention 16 S125 S132
- Brumbelow , M.L , Mueller , B. , Arbelaez , R.A. , and Kuehn , M. 2017 Investigating potential changes to the IIHS side impact crashworthiness evaluation program Proceedings of the 25th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles (ESV) Washington DC
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety 2003 https://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/38/
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety 2017 Side impact crashworthiness evaluation: Crash Test Protocol (Version X) Arlington, VA
- Teoh , E.R. and Lund , A.K. 2011 IIHS side crash test ratings and occupant death risk in real-world crashes Traffic Injury Prevention 12 500 507