Diesel Engine Technology
Regulations and consumer expectations have shaped the modern diesel engine. Enhancements have resulted in more power, fuel efficiency, reliability, and lower emissions, an indication that diesels will remain popular in the future. This technology is most widely used in commercial applications, such as trucking, shipping, construction, busing, and more. Each year, many light and medium duty car and truck manufacturers introduce diesel vehicles worldwide. A fundamental knowledge of diesel technology is critical for anyone involved in the diesel engine support industry.
The SAE Diesel Engine Technology on-demand course, featuring instructor Magdi Khair, begins with a brief but thorough history and introduction to diesel engines. It then covers the importance of the fuel injection system, air management systems, and other aspects of diesel engine combustion. It explains formation of each of the regulated emissions species with details of those emission control design changes, including some sample cases quantified through the use of actual examples. An overview of fueling diesels, developing technologies, and a comprehensive section on exhaust aftertreatment are also included.
What Will You Learn
By participating in this on-demand course, you'll be able to:
- Summarize the technological advances in modern diesel engines
- Evaluate the sources of emissions from diesel engines and the influence of engine component design on curbing these emissions
- Explain the diesel exhaust after-treatment systems and their effectiveness in reducing emissions
- Recognize the importance of fuel injection parameters to performance and emission control
Is This Course For You
Engineers involved in diesel engine support industries, such as catalytic converters, lube oils, gaskets, and turbochargers as well was individuals who are not well versed with diesel engines, but in careers where diesels play a major role can benefit from this course.
During the presentation, the instructor makes reference to his book, Diesel Emissions and Their Control, co-authored with W. Addy Majewski and also available from SAE International.
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the Requirements tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the 11-hour video presentation
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Course handbook (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Online learning assessment (submit to SAE)
- Instructor follow up to your content questions
- 1.3 CEUs*/Certificate of Achievement (with satisfactory learning assessment score)
*SAE International is authorized by IACET to offer CEUs for this course.
- Windows or macOS
- Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari (Other OSs and browsers including mobile devices are not supported by may work)
- Broadband-3Mbps minimum
|Technical Paper||PDA Characterisation of Dense Diesel Sprays Using a Common-Rail Injection System|
|Technical Paper||A Study on Droplets Evaporation at Diesel Spray Boundary during Ignition Delay Period|