Standardization in a Competitive Environment
Standards aren?t considered competitive tools by definition. However, through well-managed participation, standards can become significant competitive enablers as the role of standardization becomes more substantial within a company.
This on-demand course begins by providing a high-level review of how the standards world functions, including the definition of a standard, key participants in the development of a standard, and the typical standards development process. The course introduces the who, what, why, and how of standardization and explores how standards can be better utilized within organizations. The presentation also examines standards in the global marketplace, looks at the role of competition, competitiveness, and differentiation, and identifies strategic priorities related to standardization and standards, specifically related to supply chain and international trade agreements.
After introducing principles of standardization and discovering how they operate within a fictional company, this course will present a strategic approach for the management and utilization of standards within an organization. Techniques to effectively approach a standardization exercise, or to better understand standardization activities within a company will be offered.
What Will You Learn
By participating in this On Demand Course, you will be able to:
- Describe a standard and how it is developed
- Explain the world of voluntary standards
- Explain the concept ofcompetitiveness in the marketplace
- Distinguish the difference between standardization and standards
- Envision a potential role for standardization within your company
Is This Course For You
Have colleagues who need this course? See Special Offers to the right.
Click on the Requirements tab to make sure you are properly equipped to interact with this course.
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the one hour presentation
- Job aids (included in the course)
- Integrated knowledge checks to reinforce key concepts
- Online learning assessment
- 0.2 CEUs*/Certificate of Achievement (upon completion of all course content and a score of 70% or higher on the learning assessment)
*SAE International is authorized by IACET to offer CEUs for this course.
- Windows or macOS
- Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari (Other OSs and browsers including mobile devices are not supported by may work)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum
- What is a Standard?
- Key Players (ASTM, ASME, SAE, IEEE, API, etc.)
- Standards versus Regulations versus Guides, etc.
- Role of Standards in Supporting Regulation
- Standards Development: Initial Drafts... National... Global
- SAE Standards Development Process
- Interdependency of Standards: Reference Standards and Complexity
- Approval Bodies: Self-Certification, Type Approval, Third Party Registration versus Certification versus Recognition
- Business Competitiveness
- Value Chain for Standards... Raw Material to Finished Products Products not Standards)
- Role of Standards versus Role of Standardization
|Professional Development||Finite Element Analysis (FEA) for Design Engineers|
|Professional Development||Introduction to Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP)|
|Professional Development||AS9100D Standard Training|