High Voltage Safety and PPE
High Voltage Safety & PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) is a necessary and important course to complete when planning to diagnose or repair hybrid or electric vehicles. This on-demand course, from SAE training partner FutureTech* will provide information on how to test high voltage gloves, when and where to send high voltage gloves for periodic testing, and how to safely use the proper test equipment for measuring high voltage components in live and disabled high voltage systems.
At the conclusion of this course, you will know how to care for and test high voltage gloves which, test equipment to purchase and how to use it, and how to safely make measurements on a high voltage system.
Technical information within this course will apply to any electrified vehicle. While the duration of the course is one hour, the estimated time to completion, including knowledge checks and the final learning assessment, is two hours.
What Will You Learn
- Select High Voltage Electrical Safety gloves
- Follow guidelines in how to properly maintain High Voltage Electrical Safety gloves
- Field test High Voltage Safety gloves before each use
- Properly interface a Differential Oscilloscope probe when measuring voltage in High Voltage systems
- Apply correct Category (CAT) ratings when using or purchasing tools or equipment
- Use an Insulation Resistance tester to test and identify components for any insulation failures
Is This Course For You
High Voltage Safety is a primary concern when any engineer is developing, verifying, or validating a vehicle electrification system. This course will provide essential information, and the associated electrical requirements of high voltage in electrical systems and tools associated with measuring high voltage system voltage and current. The associated Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) necessary for any engineer interfacing with high voltage systems is also an integral segment of this course.
*FutureTech develops and delivers comprehensive Vehicle Electrification solutions that include technical training, specialty diagnostic equipment and, professional support services to automotive service professionals. Its highly qualified network of suppliers, affiliations and, partners encompasses over 32 years of commercial experience focused in Vehicle Electrification education and technology development.
- 90 days of online single-user access (from date of purchase) to the one hour presentation
- Online learning assessment
- Course handbook (downloadable, .pdf's)
- Instructor follow up to your content questions
- 0.2 CEUs*/Certificate of Achievement (upon completion of all course content and a score of 70% or higher on the learning assessment)
*SAE International is authorized by IACET to offer CEUs for this course.
- Windows 7, 8, 10 (other operating systems and mobile platforms are not supported but may work)
- Internet Explorer 11, Mozilla Firefox 37, Google Chrome 42 (other browsers are not supported but may work)
- Broadband-1Mbps minimum
Part 1: Electrical Circuits and Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)
- General Electrical Safety Precautions
- Ground Paths and the Technician
- High Voltage Circuits and Scope Safety
- Additional High Voltage Testing Considerations
- Partial Discharge and Electric Machine Winding Failure
Part 2: Measurement Equipment and Usage
- High Voltage Gloves: Selecting and Testing
- High Voltage and Differential Scope Probes
- CAT Ratings and Equipment
- Introduction to Power Electronics Insulation Testing
|Professional Development||High Voltage Vehicle Safety Systems|
|Professional Development||Introduction to Hybrid Electric Vehicle Systems|
|Professional Development||Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) Hybrid Battery Systems|