This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Use of eVTOL Aircraft for Military Applications: Last-mile Transport and Logistics
- Research Report
- ISBN 978-1-4686-0544-0
Published November 15, 2022 by SAE International in United States
Recent advancements in eVTOL aircraft have generated significant interest within and beyond the traditional aviation industry. One promising application is for last-mile (and middle-mile) military transport and logistics, which can complement current mission capabilities and enhance operational readiness. With the dynamic and varying global challenges facing military operations, eVTOL aircraft can offer timely, on-demand, and potentially cost-effective aerial mobility components to the overall solution.
The Use of eVTOL Aircraft for Military Applications: Last-mile Transport and Logistics explores the challenges that need to be addressed before identified capabilities and benefits can be realized at scale:
- Mission-specific eVTOL vehicle development
- Detect-and-avoid (DAA)capabilities in complex and challenging operating environments
- Autonomous and AI-enhanced mission capabilities
- Charging system compatibility and availability for battery-electric vehicles
- Simplified vehicle operations (SVO) training
- Vehicle/fleet logistics and support
- Secured supply chain management
- Acceptance from stakeholder services, military leadership, field commanders, and operating and support team members