This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modal and Vibration / Stress Analysis of a Passenger Vehicle by FEM
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 1999 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Finite element method has been used for modal and vibration / stress analysis of a passenger vehicle. The study vehicle has been discretised taking into account the chassis elements, axles, suspension and tyres. The Lanczos method has been successfully used for the modal analysis. The power spectral density (p.s.d.) of acceleration of a track measured by using three height sensors has been fed as input to the tyres and the dynamic response of the vehicle in terms of acceleration and strain has been computed at all the nodes using finite element modeling and the random vibration concept. The experiments were carried out using piezo-electric accelerometers and strain gauges to measure the vibration and strain levels at critical points of the vehicle. The vibration and strain levels calculated through f.e.m. match well with the experimental values. Parametric study has also been carried out with a view to find the optimum suspension / tyre characteristics for maximum ride comfort in the vehicle.
CitationKaruppaiah, N., Sujatha, C., and Ramamurti, V., "Modal and Vibration / Stress Analysis of a Passenger Vehicle by FEM," SAE Technical Paper 990003, 1999, https://doi.org/10.4271/990003.
- Ramamurti. V. Sujatha. C. “Bus Vibration Study - Finite element modeling and determination of the eigen pairs” International Journal of Vehicle Design 11 4 5 410 420 1990
- Ramamurti. V. Sujatha. C. “Bus Vibration Study - Theoretical response analysis and experimental verification” International Journal of Vehicle Design 11 4 5 401 409 1990
- Przemieniecki. J.S. “Theory of Matrix Structural Analysis” McGraw Hill New York 1968
- Ramamurti. V. “Computer Aided Mechanical Design and Analysis” McGraw Hill New York 1998
- Mimuro. T. Maemura. T. Fujii. H. “Development and Application of the RoadProfile Measuring System” SAE 930257 1993
- Robson. J.D. “An Introduction to Random Vibration” Elsevier Pub.Co. London 1964