This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Vortex Wake Effect on the Aircraft Model and Search for Aerodynamic Means to Compensate It
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The vortex wake effect on the aerodynamic characteristics of a twin-engine general-aviation aircraft model has been studied in TsAGI's wind tunnel. The airfoil cascade with differentially deflectable sections along the span installed at the wind-tunnel nozzle exit was used to simulate the vortex wake impact. In addition to the landing configuration considered first, this work is devoted to the analysis of the vortex wake effect on the aerodynamic characteristics of the model in cruise and takeoff configurations. Preliminary researches were carried out on the efficiency of some wing control surfaces to compensate for the vortex induced rolling moment. The results of numerical calculation of the vortex wake impact on the aircraft model in cruise configuration is also presented. The algorithm for computing aircraft aerodynamic characteristics has been modified to account of the vertical velocity component of the vortex wake.
|Technical Paper||Simulation of Vortex Wake Impact on a General-Aviation Aircraft Model in a Wind Tunnel Using the Airfoil Lattice|
|Journal Article||Frostwing Co-Operation in Aircraft Icing Research|
CitationMikhailov, Y., "Analysis of Vortex Wake Effect on the Aircraft Model and Search for Aerodynamic Means to Compensate It," SAE Technical Paper 985591, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/985591.
- Rossow, V.J. Wake-Vortex Structure from Lift and Torque Induced on a Following Wing AIAA Paper 93-3013 July 1993
- Stewart, E.C. A Study of the Interaction between a Wake Vortex and Encountering Airplane AIAA Paper 93-3518 Aug. 1993
- Rossow, V.J. Sacco, J.N. Askins, P.A. Bishee, L.S. Smith, S.M. Wind-Tunnel Measurements of Hazard Posed by Lift-Generated Wakes Journal of Aircraft 32 2 March-April 1995
- Mikhailov, Yu. S. Simulation of Vortex Wake Impact on a General-Aviation Aircraft Model in a Wind Tunnel Using the Airfoil Lattice SAE 965545 1996 World Aviation Congress October 21-24 1996 Los Angeles, CA
- Rossow, V.J. Validation of Vortex-Lattice Method for Loads on Wings in Lift-Generated Wakes Journal of Aircraft 32 6 November-December 1995
- Belotserkovsky, S.M. 1965 Thin Lifting Surface in Subsonic Gas Flow Nauka Publishing House Moscow
- Chicherov, N.A. 1994 Prediction of the Aerodynamic Characteristics of Subsonic Aircraft over a Wide Range of Angles of Attack Using the Method of Deformable Lifting Surface TVF 1 2 Moscow
- Mikhailov, Yu. S. Razdobarin, A. M. Numerical Estimation of the Vortex Wake Effect on Aircraft Aerodynamic Characteristics Investigation of vortex wake evolution and flight safety problems Trudy TsAGI 1997 2627
- Nikiforov, V.M. 1993 Development of the Numerical Method and Computer Program for Predicting Flows about a High-Lift Wing Section at Low Speeds Uchyoniye Zapiski TsAGI
- Croom, D.R. Development Spoilers as Trailing-Vortex Hazard Alleviation Devices Proceedings of the Aircraft Wake Vortices Conference March 15-17 1977 217 228
- White, R.J. Improving the Airplane Efficiency by Use of Wing Maneuver Load Alleviation Journal of Aircraft X 1971