This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
TRANAIR Packaging for Ease-of-Use in Wing Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Making TRANAIR an easier to use wing design tool is an important step toward reducing wing design cycle time. This paper shows the accuracy of TRANAIR in analysis mode for complex configurations with attached flow. This accuracy allows the design part to correctly predict improvements due to design changes. We show the current steps required for the MultiPoint (MP) design version of TRANAIR and the state of refinements toward increasing ease-of-use of this system. Finally, we discuss some of the proposed ways to further improve how the user interacts with the TRANAIR system for MP design.
CitationPurcell, T. and Om, D., "TRANAIR Packaging for Ease-of-Use in Wing Design," SAE Technical Paper 985575, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/985575.
- Herling, W. W. Blom, G. A. Booker, A. J. LeDoux, S. T. Ratcliff, R. R. Treiber, D. A. Warfield, M. J. “3-Dimensional Design Optimization Version 1.0, User's Guide” WL-TR-97-3047, DTIC AD B231603 April 1997
- Herling, W. W. Blom, G. A. LeDoux, S. T. Ratcliff, R. R. Treiber, D. A. Warfield, M. J. Emsley, H. T. “3DOPT - An Integrated System for Aerodynamic Design Optimization” AIAA-98-2514-CP, Applied Aerodynamics Conference June 1998
- TRANAIR A Computer Code for Transonic Analyses of Arbitrary Configurations” Samant, S. S. Bussoletti, J. E. Johnson, F. T. et al. AIAA 87-0034, AIAA 25 th Aerospace Sciences Meeting Jan. 1987
- Smith, M. W. “Ease of Use for Tranair Analysis Problems” SAE World Aeronautical Conference Sept. 1998
- Melvin et al “Recent Progress in Aerodynamic Design Optimization” ISSTECH-96-024, ISS Technology Boeing Information & Support Services Nov. 1996 Boeing internal report
- Dickens, T. “Experience with a Geometry Programming Language for CFD Applications” SAE World Aeronautical Conference Sept. 1998
- Huffman, W. P. Melvin, R. G. Young, D. P. Johnson, F. T. Bussoletti, J. E. Bieterman, M. B. Hilmes, C. L. “Practical Design and Optimization in Computational Fluid Dynamics” AIAA Paper 93-3111 1993