This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Origins of the F-22 Raptor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The F-22 will be the primary US Air Force air superiority fighter through the first quarter of the 21st century. The F-22 emerged from the Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) program. The Concept Definition (CD) phase of the ATF program began in November 1981. ATF Demonstration and Validation (D/V) was initiated in October 1986 with F-22 Engineering and Manufacturing Development (EMD) starting in August 1991. First flight of the EMD F-22 occurred on 7 September, 1997. The F-22 will enter operational service in the year 2005. This paper traces the ATF's developmental history from its earliest beginnings in the 1970s through the CD phase to the formal start of D/V at the end of 1986.
|Technical Paper||Concepts for Aircraft Subsystem Integration|
|Technical Paper||SUIT: The Integration of Aircraft Utility Subsystems|
CitationPiccirillo, A., "Origins of the F-22 Raptor," SAE Technical Paper 985566, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/985566.
- Aronstein, David C. Hirschberg Michael J. Piccirillo Albert C. From Advanced Tactical Fighter to F-22; Origins of the Air Force Twenty First Century Air Dominance Fighter AIAA Reston, VA August 1998
- Canan, James W. “Toward the Totally Integrated Airplane,” Air Force Magazine January 1984
- Ferguson, Paul C. Dr. Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) to F-22, Part I -- To Milestone 0 and Beyond 1970-1982 Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base OH May 1996
- General Accounting Office DOD Acquisition: Case Study of the Air Force Advanced Fighter Engine Program 25 August 1986
- Henry, Donald D. “Advanced Tactical Fighter Program,” Tactical Aircraft Research and Technology NASA Langley Research Center Hampton, VA March 1981
- Lyons, Robert F. The Search for an Advanced Fighter: A History from the XF-108 to the Advanced Tactical Fighter Air University, Maxwell AFB AL April 1986
- Mullin, Sherman N. The Evolution of the F-22 Advanced Tactical Fighter, Wright Brothers Lecture AIAA Aircraft Design Systems Meeting Hilton Head SC 24 August 1992
- Patterson, Richard Wright Laboratory's Role/History in the Advanced Tactical Fighter Technology Development Wright Laboratory Report No. WRDC-TM-90-603-TXT January 1990
- Piccirillo, Albert C. “The Advanced Tactical Fighter: Design Goals and Technical Challenges,” Aerospace America November 1984
- Piccirillo, Albert C. “The Next Hot Fighter Engine,” Aerospace America June 1986
- Sudheimer, R. “Advanced Tactical Attack System Mission Analysis (ATASMA),” Tactical Aircraft Research and Technology Langley Research Center Hampton, VA March 1981
- Twigg, Judyth L. To Fly and Fight: Norms, Institutions, and Fighter Aircraft Procurement in the United States, Russia and Japan Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge September 1994