This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vectoria-A Design Study Incorporating Thrust Vectoring
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 28, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Vectoria aircraft was designed last year by staff members and students from Linköping University in Sweden and is a fighter that is designed to play a role similar to the Saab JAS 39 Gripen. The design incorporates many new ideas in aircraft design including stealth and two-dimensional thrust vectoring capabilities. One of the aircraft's prime requirements was to utilise STOL whilst also maintaining a low radar signature and obtaining fighter performance. This in itself is no easy feat as to date no western aircraft has successfully combined these requirements, although these factors are being included in the different American JSF projects.
The Vectoria was originally designed as a part of a structures project in which all the various components had to be fitted. It was decided that the aircraft should have two dimensional thrust vectoring in the form of a simple flap was the cheapest and most light form of achieving STOL performance and improved manoeuvre properties. The configuration was designed so as to achieve the engine thrust as close to the centre of gravity as possible, minimising trimming balancing requirements whilst performing STOL manoeuvres.
|Overview of the US/UK ASTOVL Program
|Preliminary Design of a Tandem Seater Light Sport Airplane
CitationBerry, P., "Vectoria-A Design Study Incorporating Thrust Vectoring," SAE Technical Paper 985528, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/985528.
- Aircraft Design Project TMAL 53 VECTORIA - A light subsonic fighter/attack aircraft with thrust vectoring capabilities LiTH, IKP 1997
- Roberts I. Drag and Flight Performance Prediction for the Vectoria Aircraft 1998
- Munro C. Thrust Vectoring for Improved Field performance of the Vectoria Aircraft LiTH, IKP 1998
- Betrand N. Delame N. Landing Gear Design on the Vectoria Aircraft LiTH, IKP 1998
- Ly H. Weapon System Integration on the Vectoria Aircraft LiTH, IKP 1998