This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analytical Investigation of Driver Thoracic Response to Out of Position Airbag Deployment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 02, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A finite element model of the human thorax was merged with a rigid body finite element implementation of the Hybrid III dummy (after removal of the Hybrid III thorax) and the combined model is used in simulations of an out of position driver during airbag deployment. Parameters related to injury, such as A-P thorax deformation, Viscous Criterion, rib stress distribution and strain in the thoracic contents are used to quantify the thoracic injury response. Initial driver position is varied to examine the relationship between distance from the airbag module and thoracic injury risk. The potential for injury mitigation through modulation of airbag inflation after initiation is also investigated. The utility of the combined model as an effective tool for the analysis of occupant kinematics and dynamics, examination of injury mechanisms, and optimization of restraint system design parameters is demonstrated.
- Gordon R. Plank - Volpe National Transportation Systems Center Research and Special Programs Administration United States Department of Transportation
- Michael Kleinberger - National Transportation Biomechanics Research Center National Highway Traffic Safety Administration United States Department of Transportation
- Rolf H. Eppinger - National Transportation Biomechanics Research Center National Highway Traffic Safety Administration United States Department of Transportation
CitationPlank, G., Kleinberger, M., and Eppinger, R., "Analytical Investigation of Driver Thoracic Response to Out of Position Airbag Deployment," SAE Technical Paper 983165, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/983165.
- Plank, Gordon R., Kleinberger Michael and Eppinger Rolf H., “Finite Element Modeling and Analysis of Thorax/Restraint System Interaction” Fourteenth International Technical Conference on Enhanced safety of Vehicles, June, 1994.
- Plank, Gordon R. and Eppinger Rolf H., “An Improved Finite Element Model of the Human Thorax” Thirteenth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, November, 1991.
- Plank, Gordon R. and Eppinger Rolf H., “Computed Dynamic Response of the Human Thorax From a Finite Element Model”, Twelfth International Technical Conference on Experimental Safety Vehicles, June, 1989.
- Sundaram, S. H. and Feng C. C., “Finite Element Analysis of the Human Thorax”, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 10, pp. 505-516, 1977
- Roberts, S. B. and Chen P. H., “Elastostatic Analysis of the Human Thoracic Skeleton”, Journal of Biomechanics, Vol. 3, pp. 527-545, 1970
- Viano David C., Biomechanics of Bone and Tissue: A Review of Material Properties and Failure Characteristics”, Paper No. 861923
- FEBOD - NHTSA web page: www.nhtsa.dot.gov
- Kroell, C. K., Schneider D. C., and Nahum A. M., “Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax”, Proceedings of the 15th Stapp Car Crash Conference, November 1971.
- Lobdel, T. E., Kroell C. K., Schneider D. C., Hering W. E., and Nahum A. M., “Impact Response of the Human Thorax”, Human Impact Response - Measurement and Simulation. Proceedings of Symposium at General Motors Research Laboratories, Oct. 2, 3, 1972, edited by King W. F. and Mertz H. J., London: Plenum Press.
- Kroell, C. K., Schneider D. C., and Nahum A. M., “Impact Tolerance and Response of the Human Thorax II”, Proceedings of the 18th Stapp Car Crash Conference, December, 1974.
- Neathery, R. F. “Analysis of Chest Impact Response Data and Scaled Performance Recommendations”, Proceedings of the Eighteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, December 1974.
- Eppinger, R. H., “On the Development of a Deformation Measurement System and Its Application Toward Developing Mechanically Based Injury Indices”, SAE Paper No. 892426, Proc. 33rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 21-28, 1989
- Lau, Ian V. and Viano, David C., “The Viscous Criterion - Bases and Applications of an Injury Severity Index for Soft Tissues”, SAE Paper No. 861882, Proceedings of the 30th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 123-142, October, 1986
- Horsch, John, Lau Ian, Andrzejak Dennis, Viano David, Melvin John, Pearson Jeff, Cok David, and Miller Greg, “Assessment of Airbag Deployment Loads”, SAE Paper No. 902324, Proc. 34th Stapp Car Crash Conference, pp. 267-288, 1990
- Boresi, A. P., Schmidt Richard J. and Sidebottom Omar M., Advanced Mechanics of Materials, Fifth Edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1993
- Yamada, H., Strength of Biological Materials, translated by Evans F. G., Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1970
- Vos Thomas H., Director, Applied Technology, TRW-VSSI, personal communication with the authors
- Bandak, F. A. and Eppinger R. H., “A 3-D Finite Element Analysis of the Human Brain Under Combined Rotational and Translational Acceleration”, Proceedings of the 38th Stapp Car Crash Conference, 145-163, 1994
- Dimasi, Frank P., Eppinger Rolf H. and Bandak Faris A., “Computational Analysis of Head Impact Response Under Car Crash Loadings”, Proceedings of the 39th Stapp Car Crash Conference, 1995