This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Powertrain Applications for Rapid Prototyping, Fabrication and Tooling in Motorsports
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Rapid Prototyping, Fabrication and Tooling is a process that blends a series of technologies (machines, tools, and methods) capable of generating physical objects directly from a CAD database. The process dramatically reduces the time spent during product development by allowing for fast visualization, verification, iteration, optimization, and fabrication of parts and tools. Many new techniques of tooling have been and are being developed by using rapid fabricated parts. These are having a dramatic impact on both timing and costs throughout the automotive industry. One area that these methods can be utilized to their full potential is motorsports. Of particular interest is the growing use of bridge tooling to provide first article through production intent parts that promote cost effective changes.
CitationHoward, K., "Powertrain Applications for Rapid Prototyping, Fabrication and Tooling in Motorsports," SAE Technical Paper 983091, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/983091.
- Jacobs, Paul “ Rapid Prototyping & Manufacturing: Fundamentals of Stereolithography ” SME Dearborn, MI July 1992
- “Porsche Optimizes Design of Le Mans Race Car” Rapid Prototyping Report 6 6 June 1996
- Skeehan, Mark Lockheed Martin Aeronautical Systems “Artificial Ice Shapes For F.A.A. Certification of the C130J Aircraft” N.A.S.U.G. 1998 Conference and Annual Meeting SanAntonio, TX
- “Rapid Prototyping at Ford Saves Time & Money” Automotive Manufacturing & Production 109 4 April 1997
- Debler, Ed. Howard, Kenneth, D. Farash, Alan Shah, Chandra “AX4N Rear Carrier Design Utilizing FEA, Stereolithography and Simultaneous Engineering” a Presentation for the Powertrain Product Development Symposium, Ford World Headquarters Dearborn, MI August 1993
- Howard, Kenneth, D. “Investing, is it in Your Future?” N.A.S.U.G. 1996 Conference and Annual Meeting San Diego, CA
- Jacobs, Paul “ Recent Advances in Rapid Tooling From Stereolithography ” 3D Systems 1996
- Denton, Karl Jacobs, Paul “QuickCast TM & Rapid Tooling: A Case History at Ford Motor Company” RPDL Conference Dayton, OH June 1994