This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic Tests of Racing Seats and Simulation with Vedyac Code
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dynamic tests have been performed on carbon fiber racing seats following the FIA regulations. The tests have shown, in rear impact tests, a relatively strong rebound leading to large forward bending of neck, and, in side impact tests, very large lateral displacement of the head, the latter protruding dangerously towards hard portions of the car structure. Stiffening the seat back by steel struts results in reducing strongly both the motion and the acceleration of the head. Simulations of the dynamics of the tests have been done with multi-body models, including the Hybrid III dummy and seat deflection, by means of the program VEDYAC. It has been found that computer simulation can predict very accurately the result of a test, provided the numerical models have been carefully calibrated to match the dummy tolerance bands. Once they have been calibrated and validated with a number of tests, the computer models can be very useful to extend the test results to different test conditions. For example such models have been used to evaluate the effect of the head being out-of-position before impact. The use of simulation is also very important in the design of new seats, where it can give accurate prediction of the tests, reducing greatly the need of further tests.
CitationGiavotto, V. and Conconi, L., "Dynamic Tests of Racing Seats and Simulation with Vedyac Code," SAE Technical Paper 983059, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/983059.
- Cavanough J. M., Huang Y., Zhu Y., King A. I., Regional Tolerance of the shoulder, Thorax, Abdomen and Pelvis to Padding in Side Impact, Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, 1993.
- Cloward R. B., Lesioni acute della colonna cervicale, Clinical Symposia, 1983.
- Adomeit D., Seat Design - A Significant Factor for Safety Belt Effectiveness, 23rd Stapp Car Crash Conference, San Diego, CA, USA, Oct. 17-19, 1979. SAE No. 791004
- Otte D., Deformation Characteristics and Occupant Load Capacity in Lateral Impacts for Nearside Belted Front Car Passengers, 37th Stapp Car Crash Conference,San Antonio, Texas, USA, 1993.
- Cesari D., Biofidelity of Side Impact Dummies, Biomechanics of Impact Trauma, IRCOBI Conference, Dec, 13-14, 1995.
- Clarke T. D., Smedley D. C., Muzzy W. H., Gragg C. D., Schmidt R. E., Trout E. M., Impact Tolerance and Resulting Injury Patterns in the Baboon: Air Force Shoulder Harness - Lap Belt Restraint, Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, 1972.
- Foret-Bruno J. Y., Hartemann F., Thomas C., Tarrière C., Loyat B., Stherbatcheff G., Got C., Patel A., Occupant Velocity Change in Side Impact Method of Calculation - Application to a Sample of Real World Crashes, 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference Troy, Michigan, USA, Oct. 15-17, 1980. SAE No. 801308
- Segal D. J., Side Impact Modelling using lumped mass and CAL-3D CVS Simulations, Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, 1984.
- Alfaro-Bou E., Fasanella E. L., Williams M. S., Crashworthy Design Considerations for General Aviation Seats, Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, 1985.
- Astori P., Aspetti biomeccanici nei fenomeni d'urto, Dinamica del movimento umano, CISM, Udine, Apr., 18-20, 1996.
- Benson B. R., Smith G. C., Kent R. W, Monson C. R., Effect of Seat Stiffness in Out-of-Position Occupant Response in Rear-End Collision, 40th Stapp Car Crash Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, Nov., 4-6, 1996. SAE No. 962434
- Begeman P. C., King A. I., Prasad P., Spinal Loads Resulting from -Gx Acceleration, 17th Stapp Car Crash Conference, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, Nov. 12-13, 1973. SAE No. 730977
- FIA STANDARD 8855-992, 1992.
- Huelke D. F., Nusholtz G. S., Cervical Spine Biomechanics: A Review of the Literature, Biomechanics of Impact Trauma, IRCOBI Conference, Dec. 13-14, 1995.
- James M. B., Strother C. E., Warner C. Y., Decker R. L., Perl T. R., Occupant Protection in Rear-end Collisions: II. The Role of Seat Back Deformation in Injury Reduction, 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference, San Diego, California, USA, Nov. 18-20,1991. SAE No. 912914
- James M. B., Strother C. E., Warner C. Y., Decker R. L., Perl T. R., Occupant Protection in Rear-end Collisions: I. Safety Priorities and Seat Belt Effectiveness, 35th Stapp Car Crash Conference, San Diego, California, USA, Nov. 18-20,1991. SAE No. 912913
- Viano D. C., Influence of Seatback Angle on Occupant Dynamics in Simulated Rear-End ImpactsStapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, 1992.
- Viano D. C., Blunt Impact Injury Assessment, Biomechanics of Impact Trauma, IRCOBI Conference, 13-14 Dicembre, 1995.
- Strother C. E., James M. B. Evaluation of Seat Back Strength and Seat Belt Effectiveness in Rear End Impacts, Stapp Car Crash Conference Proceedings, 1987.