This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Race Car Testing at the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper reviews the development of a new test capability for race cars at the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel. The existing external force balance of the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel, designed for use with full-scale aircraft, was reconfigured for automobile testing. Details of structural modifications relevant to supporting cars and force measurements are shown. A specialized automobile force balance, measuring vehicle drag and individual wheel downforce, was then designed, constructed and calibrated. The design was governed by simplicity and low cost and was tailored to the stock car racing community. The balance became fully operational in early 1998. The overall layout of the automobile balance and comparisons to reference data from another full-scale wind tunnel is presented.
|Technical Paper||Road Simulation for NASCAR Vehicles at the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel|
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Development of a Successful NASCAR Winston Cup Race Car|
CitationLandman, D. and Britcher, C., "Development of Race Car Testing at the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 983040, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/983040.
- Britcher, C.P. Landman, D. “From the 30 by 60 to the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel” 36th Aerosciences Meeting and Exhibit Reno, NV January 1998
- Hanson, J. “Engineer-in-Charge - A history of the Langley Aeronautical Laboratory” 1917 1958 1992
- Roland, A. “Model Research - The National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics 1915 1958 1985
- Platt, R.C. Turbulence Factors of NACA Wind Tunnels as Determined by Sphere Tests” NACA Report 558 February 1936
- Rae, W.H. Pope, A. “Low Speed Wind Tunnel Testing” Wiley 1984
- Martin, P. “Preliminary Flow Survey” Langley Full-Scale Tunnel November 1996
- Martin, P. “Preliminary Flow Survey Measurements and Uncertainty Analysis from the Langley Full-Scale Tunnel” GTTC student paper competition April 1997 AIAA Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit July 1997
- Hucho, W. H. “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles” SAE 1998
- Cogotti, A. “Ground Effect Simulation for Full-Scale Cars in the Pininfarina Wind Tunnel” SAE paper 950996