This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
First Crash Test of the New Conceptual Pliers Underride Guard
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 09, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The mechanical principle of a simple pliers tool was applied to design a new energy absorbing rear underride guard. The guard, consisting of a hanging steel frame held by a steel cables net, could avoid underride of a GM Vectra at 64 km/h colliding in 50% offset. Injury criteria measured at Hybrid 3 dummies showed a low crash severity (HIV = 381). The guard needs, however, further optimization to become commercially feasible.
|Technical Paper||Design and Test of an Articulated Rear Guard able to Prevent Car Underride|
|Technical Paper||Impact Project: Searching for Solution to the Underride Problem|
|Technical Paper||Trailer Underride Protection - A Canadian Perspective|
CitationMariolani, J., dos Santos, P., Stellute, J., and Mazarin, J., "First Crash Test of the New Conceptual Pliers Underride Guard," SAE Technical Paper 982879, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982879.
- SCHMUTZLER, L.O.F. 1997 Brazil's heavy vehicle rear underride problem: A technical-judicial-social and political challenge SAE Heavy vehicle underride protection TOPTEC Palm Springs-USA Apr. 15-16 1997
- RECHNITZER, G. SCOTT, G. MURRAY, N.W. 1993 The reduction of injuries to car occupants in rear end impacts with heavy vehicles 37th STAPP Car Crash Conference Nov. 8-10 1993 San Antonio, Texas SAE Paper 933123 Society of Automotive Engineering, Inc.
- RECHNITZER, G. WAI FOONG CHEE 1991 Truck involved crash study: Fatal and injury crashes of cars into the rear of trucks Monash University Accident Research Centre Melbourne Report n o 26
- MARIOLANI, J.R.L. ARRUDA, A.C.F. SANTOS, P.S.P. MAZARIN, J.C. STELLUTE, J.C. 1997 Design and test of an articulated rear guard able to prevent car underride VI International Mobility Technology Conference and Exhibit Oct. 27-29 1997 São Paulo, Brazil SAE Paper 973106 Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- BLOCH, B. SCHMUTZLER, L.O.F. 1998 Improved Crashworthy Designs for Truck Underride Guards 16th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles June 1-4 1998 Windsor, Canada
- RECHNITZER, G. 1993 Fatal and injury crashes of cars and other road users with the front and sides of heavy vehicles Monash University Accident Research Centre Melbourne Report n o 35
- RECHNITZER, G. POWELL, C. SEYER, K. 1996 Development and testing of energy absorbing rear underrun barriers for heavy vehicles 15th International Technical Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Melbourne, Australia May 13-17 1996
- SCHMUTZLER, L.O.F. 1997 An underride guard design for the Brazilian traffic environment: Working for a solution SAE Heavy vehicle underride protection TOPTEC Palm Springs-USA Apr. 15-16 1997
- ARRUDA, A.C.F. SCHMUTZLER, L.O.F. 1997 Aug. 26-28 1997 São Paulo, Brazil 440 445
- RECHNITZER, G. Design principles for underride guards and crash test results SAE Heavy vehicle underride protection TOPTEC Palm Springs-USA Apr. 15-16 1997
- DESALVO, G.J. GORMAN, R.W. 1989 Ansys engineering analysis system user's manual 1 Swanson Analysis System, Inc. Houston, USA