This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parameters Used for Automotive Vehicles Concerning Acoustic Qualification/Quantification
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 09, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents in a chronological way the main parameters used for automotive vehicles concerning acoustic qualification/quantification. We start with the loudness concept, pass by the “A” weighting philosophy and arrive to the sound level reduction including sound quality. We are able to show a lot of parameters, each one trying to match better the correlation between objective results and subjective evaluations. We mention several aspects regarding the human ear that make difficult the description of sound sensations through a single parameter. We emphasize also the absence of the exposure time in the parameters used to evaluate acoustic comfort. It is shown the large gap between the parameters used in lab and those applied in the legislations through some standards. Some conclusions are presented and the future related to acoustic parameters are discussed.
CitationOnusic, H. and Hage, M., "Parameters Used for Automotive Vehicles Concerning Acoustic Qualification/Quantification," SAE Technical Paper 982866, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982866.
- Onusic H. and Douglas R.A. - Dear EinfluβSpektroradiometrisher Meβfehler auf die Farberkoordinaten (x,y) einer Lichtquelle - Optik (1981), v58, nr. 2 - pp. 93-102.
- Onusic H. and Mizutani V.S. - Infrasound Pressure Levels in Commercial Vehicles - SAE paper 931610.
- Broch J.T. - Effects of Vibrations and Shock on Man - B & K Publication (1980).
- Onusic H. and Mandic D. - Propagation of errors in chromaticity coefficients (x,y) obtained from spectroradiometric curves: tristimulus covariances included - Int. J. Of Vehicle Design, vol. 10, nr. 1 (1989), pp. 79-88.
- Morel J.O., Onusic H., Lima M.R. - Interação do Organismo Humano com o Micro Clima Local em Veículos: Uma Abordagem Crítica - SAE paper 952192.
- Azoulay A. - Electromagnetic Compatibility in Cellular Telephony - Proceedings SEMIC 96 - Abricem - pp 50-63.
- Alexandry F.G. - O problema do ruído industrial e seu controle - Edição Fundacentro (1978).
- Noise & Hearing Conservation Manual - Edited by Berger E.H. et al. - American Industrial Hygiene Association (1991).
- Zwicker E. - Meaningful Noise Measurement and Effective Noise Reduction - Noise Control Engineering Journal (1987) pp. 66-76.
- Onusic H. e Hage M.M. - Ruído Interno de Veículos Automotores: A Utilização do Loudness - Revista Acústica e Vibrações - no 14 - dez/94 - pp. 53-56
- Hage M.M. and Onusic H. - Noise inside Motor Vehicles: on the calculation of Articulation Index Modified (AIM) - Proceedings IV International Seminar on Noise Control - Rio de Janeiro (1992) pp. 129-132.
- Onusic H. and Hage M.M. - Interior Noise of Automotive Vehicles: A proposition for Objective Characterization - SAE paper 921457.
- Onusic H. et al. - Noise inside Motor Vehicles: Correlation between Subjective Parameters - 3rd Int'l Seminar on Noise Control (oral exposition) 1989, Rio de Janeiro.
- Handbook of Noise Assessment - Edited by May D.N. - Nostrand Van (1978).
- Schiffbänker H. et al. - Development and Application of an Evaluation Technique to Assess the Subjective Character of Engine Noise - SAE paper 911081.
- Stuecklschwaiger W. - Improving the Noise Quality of Combustion Engines-Lyon Congress (1993).
- Psychoacoustics - Zwicker E. and Fastl H. - Springer-Verlag (1990).