This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Durability Approval of Leaf Springs Under Operational Loading
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 16, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Leaf springs must be regarded as safety components of a vehicle which failures can cause severe accidents. They have to fulfill various functions as a spring element and for guiding the axles and are also responsible for driving comfort. Therefore, the durability approval must be carried out under representative service-like loading, which take into account complex leaf deformations in operational usage.
In this paper the influencing parameters for the durability approval of leaf spring suspensions are discussed and the test rig and the standardized test program SPRILOS (SPRIng LOad Sequence) for the durability approval are described.
CitationFischer, G., Streicher, M., and Grubisic, V., "Durability Approval of Leaf Springs Under Operational Loading," SAE Technical Paper 982839, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982839.
- Grubisic, V. Criteria and Methodology for Lightweight Design of Vehicle Components, Subject to Random Loads SAE Paper 850367 1985 SAE SP 611 1985
- Feitzelmayer, K. Breitling, U. Development of Commercial Vehicle Driven Axles on Multi-Axis Test Set-Ups Paper of Conference “Prediction and Simulation of In-Service Conditions” London 23 May 1985 I. Mech. E. 19989 131 138
- Neugebauer, J. Grubisic, V. Fischer, G. Procedure for Design Optimization and Durability Life Approval of Truck Axles and Axle Assemblies SAE Paper 892335 1989
- Grubisic, V. Fischer, G. Methodology for Effective Design Evaluation and Durability Approval of Car Suspension Components SAE Paper 970094 1997
- Manual on Design and Application of Leaf Springs SAE HS 788 April 1980
- Process and Apparatus for Testing the Axles and/or Springs and/or Adjacent Components of Commercial Vehicles