This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Visualization of Direct-Injection Gasoline Spray and Wall-impingement Inside a Motoring Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two-dimensional pulse-laser Mie scattering visualization of the direct-injection gasoline fuel sprays and wall impingement processes was carried out inside a single-cylinder optically accessible engine under motoring condition. The injectors have been first characterized inside a pressurized chamber using identical technique, as well as high-speed microscopic visualization and phase Doppler measurement techniques. The effects of injector cone angle, location, and injection timings on the wall impingement processes were investigated. It was found that the fuel vaporization is not complete at the constant engine speed tested. Fuel spray droplets were observed to disperse wider in the motored engine when compared with an isothermal quiescent ambient conditions. The extent of wall-impingement varies significantly with the injector mounting position and spray cone angle; however, its effect can be reduced to some extent by optimizing the injection timing.
CitationYoo, J., Kim, S., Zhao, F., Lai, M. et al., "Visualization of Direct-Injection Gasoline Spray and Wall-impingement Inside a Motoring Engine," SAE Technical Paper 982702, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982702.
- Zhao, F.-Q. Lai, M.-C. Harrington, D. L. “A review of mixture preparation and combustion control strategies for spark-ignited direct-injection gasoline engines,” SAE 970627
- Anderson, R. Yang, J. Brehob, D. D. Vallance, J. K. Whiteaker, R. M. “Understanding the Thermodynamics of Direct Injection Spark Ignition (DISI) Combustion Systems: An Analytical and Experimental Investigation.” SAE 962018
- Kume, T. Iwamoto, Y. Iida, K. Murakami, M. Akishino, K. Ando, H. “Combustion Control Technologies for Direct Injection SI Engine,” SAE 960600
- Stanglemaier, R. H. Hall, M. J. Matthews, R. D. “Fuel-Spray/Charge-Motion Interaction within the Cylinder of a Directed-Injected, 4-valve, SI Engine.” SAE 980155
- Zhao, F.-Q. Lai, M.-C. Liu, Y. Yoo, J.-H. Zhang, L. Yoshida, Y. “Spray characteristics of direct-injection gasoline engines,” Proceedings of ILASS-America 150 154 1996
- Zhao, F.-Q. Yoo, J.-H. Liu, Y. Lai, M.-C. “Spray dynamics of high pressure fuel injectors for DI gasoline engines,” SAE Technical 961925
- Zhao, F.-Q. Yoo, J.-H. Lai, M.-C. “In-Cylinder Spray/Wall Interactions of a Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine,” Proceedings of ILASS-America 386 388 1997
- Yoo, J.-H. Zhao, F.-Q Liu, Y. Lai, M.-C. “Characterization of DI Gasoline Sprays under Different Ambient Pressure Conditions,” International Congress of Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems, ICLASS-97 498 505 Seoul, Korea August 18-22 1997
- Shelby, M. H. VanDerWege, B. A. Hochgreb, S. “Early Spray Development in Gasoline Direct-Injected Spark Ignition Engines” SAE 980169
- Lai, M.-C. Wang, T.-C. Xie, X. Han, J. Henein, N. A. Schwarz, E. Bryzik, W. 1998 “Microscopic characterization of Diesel Sprays, at VCO Nozzle Exit” SAE 982542