This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Method of Misfire Detection by Superposing Outputs of Combustion Pressure Sensors
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An onboard diagnosis method for misfire detection that utilizes a superposed output of combustion pressure sensors (CPS's) is proposed and examined. We consider a model case where piezo-electric type CPS's are installed for each cylinder of a four-stroke-four-cylinder gasoline engine. The outputs of the CPS's are linearly combined to obtain the superposed signal. We show that the superposed signal exhibits a characteristic change when a misfire occurs. A waveform analysis of the signal leads to a clear detection of misfires. A combination setup with a non-intrusive type of fiber-optic CPS that is installed into the cylinder head gasket is also discussed as a future option for the sensing system.
CitationKomachiya, M., Kurihara, N., Kodama, A., Sakaguchi, T. et al., "A Method of Misfire Detection by Superposing Outputs of Combustion Pressure Sensors," SAE Technical Paper 982588, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982588.
- Sasayama T. Suzuki S. Amano M. Kurihara N. Sakamoto S. Suda S. “An advanced engine control system using combustion pressure sensors” Proceedings of IECON '85 IEEE New York 1985 1 68 72
- Hata Y. Asano M. “New trends in electronic engine control - to the next stage” SAE paper 860592
- Anastasia C. M. Pestana G. W. “A cylinder pressure sensor for closed loop engine control” SAE paper 870288
- Pestana G. W. “Engine control methods using combustion pressure feedback” SAE paper 890758
- Kusakabe H. Okauchi T. Takigawa M. “A cylinder pressure sensor for internal combustion engine” SAE paper 920701
- Herden W. Kusell M. “A new combustion pressure sensor for advanced engine management” SAE paper 940379
- Kondo M. Niimi A. Nakamura T. “Indiscope - a new combustion pressure indicator with washer transducers” SAE paper 750883
- Takeuchi M. Tsukada K. Nonomura Y. Omura Y. Chujou Y. “A combustion pressure sensor utilizing silicon piezoresistive effect” SAE paper 930351
- Watanabe S. Machida K. Iijima K. Tomisawa N. “A sophisticated engine control system using combustion pressure detection” SAE paper 960042
- Poorman T. J. Liangdao X. Wlodarczyk M. T. “Ignition system-embedded fiber-optic combustion pressure sensor for engine control and monitoring” SAE paper 970845
- Komachiya M. Sonobe H. Oho S. Kurita M. Nakazawa T. Sasayama T. “Multiplex in-cylinder pressure measurement utilizing an optical fiber with specific refractive-index composition” Appl. Opt. 35 1143 1150 1996
- Komachiya M. Sonobe H. Fumino T. Sakaguchi T. Kawakami K. Watanabe S. Sasayama T. “Knocking detection of a gasoline engine by utilizing an optical fiber with specific refractive-index composition” Appl. Opt. 37 1152 1158 1998
- Ribbebs W. B. “A new metric for torque nonuniformity” SAE paper 830425
- Rizzoni G. “Diagnosis of individual cylinder misfires by signature analysis of crankshaft speed fluctuations” SAE paper 890884