This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement and Modeling of the Flow-Field in a DI Diesel Engine: Effects of Piston Bowl Shape and Engine Speed
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 19, 1998 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The flow-field of an automotive DI Diesel engine is characterized by experiments in a motored engine using Laser Doppler Velocimetry and by CFD simulations. Only one cylinder is active and a specific swirling intake duct is used. Various bowls with different shapes are investigated: fiat or W-shaped bowls, with or without re-entrant. The influence of engine speed is also studied.
The mean velocity and turbulence evolutions are measured with back-scatter LDV experiments using an optical access in an extended piston.
The simulations are performed using the KMB code, a modified version of KIVA-II. Along with the detailed flow-field description, integral quantities characterizing the flow are derived.
The comparison between LDV data and CFD results is shown to be satisfactory. The effects of geometry and engine speed on spatial profiles and temporal evolution of mean and turbulent velocities are correctly reproduced. This investigation has allowed a better understanding of the piston bowl shape effects on the combustion chamber flow. Among these effects, the role of the re-entrant in the W-shaped bowls is shown to increase both swirl number and turbulence level around TDC.
CitationBéard, P., Mokaddem, K., and Baritaud, T., "Measurement and Modeling of the Flow-Field in a DI Diesel Engine: Effects of Piston Bowl Shape and Engine Speed," SAE Technical Paper 982587, 1998, https://doi.org/10.4271/982587.
SAE 1998 Transactions - Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V107-4 ; Published: 1999-09-15
Number: V107-4 ; Published: 1999-09-15
- AMSDEN A.A., O'ROURKE P.J., and BUTLER T.D.. KIVA-II: a computer program for chemically reactive flows with sprays. Technical Report LA-11560-MS, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1989.
- BO T., CLERIDES D., GOSMAN A.D., and THEODOSSOPOULOS P.. Prediction of the flow and spray processes in an automobile DI Diesel engine. SAE technical paper 970882, 1997.
- DEC J.E.. A conceptual model of DI Diesel combustion based on laser-sheet imaging. SAE technical paper 970873, 1997.
- DILLIES B., DUCAMIN A., LEBRERE L., and NEVEU F.. Direct injection Diesel engine simulation: a combined numerical and experimental approach from aerodynamics to combustion. SAE technical paper 970880, 1997.
- DIMOPOULOS P. and BOULOUCHOS K.. Turbulent flow field charateristics in a motored reciprocating engine. SAE technical paper 972833, 1997.
- DIWAKAR R.. Assessment of the ability of multidimensional computer code to model combustion in a homogeneous charge engine. SAE paper 840230, 1984.
- El TAHRY S.H.. A numerical study on the effects of fluid motion at inlet-valve closure on subsequent fluid motion in a motored engine. SAE technical paper 820035, 1982.
- GOSMAN A.D. and CLERIDES D.. Diesel spray modeling: a review. In 13th annual conference on liquid atomization and spray systems, Florence, Italie, pages 12-21, 1997.
- GOSMAN A.D., TSUI Y.Y., and VAFIDIS C.. Flow in a model engine with a shrouded valve - a combined experimental and computational study. SAE technical paper 850498, 1985.
- GOSMAN A.D., TSUI Y.Y., and WATKINS A.P.. Calculation of three dimensional air motion in model engines. SAE technical paper 840229, 1984.
- HABCHI C. and TORRES A.. A 3D multi-block structured version of the Kiva-2 code. In ELSEVIER, editor, First European CFD conference proceedings, volume 1, pages 502-512, 1992.
- HABCHI C., VERHOEVEN D., HUU C. HUYNH, LAMBERT L., VANHEMEL-RYCK J.L., and BARITAUD T.. Modeling atomization and break-up in high-pressure Diesel sprays. SAE technical paper 970881, 1997.
- HENRIOT S., LE COZ J - F., and PINCHON P.. Three dimensional modelling of flow and turbulence in a four-valve SI engine - comparison with LDV measurements. SAE technical paper 890843, 1989.
- HOU Z.X., ABRAHAM J., and SIEBERS D.L.. Modeling of Diesel sprays in a very high pressure chamber. part ii: effects of combustion. SAE technical paper 950603, 1995.
- LE COZ J - F., HENRIOT S., and PINCHON P.. An experimental and computational analysis of the flow field in a four-valve spark ignition engine - focus on cycle-resolved turbulence. SAE technical paper 900056, 1990.
- RICART L.M. and REITZ R.D.. Visualization and modeling of pilot injection and combustion in Diesel engines. SAE technical paper 960833, 1996.
- RUTLAND C.J., AYOUB N, HAN Z., HAMPSON G., KONG S.C., MATHER D., MUSCULUS M., PATTERSON M., RICART L., STEPHENSON P., and REITZ R.D.. Progress towards Diesel combustion modeling. SAE technical paper 952429, 1995.
- RUTLAND C.J., ECKHAUSE J., HAMPSON G., HESSEL R., KONG S., PATTERSON M., PIERPONT D., SWEETLAND P., TOW T., and REITZ R.D.. Toward predictive of Diesel engine. intake flow, combustion and emissions. SAE technical paper 941897, 1994.
- STEPHENSON P.W., CLAYBAKER P.J., and RUTLAND C.J.. Modeling the effects of intake generated turbulence and resolved flow structures on combustion in DI Diesel engines. SAE technical paper 960634, 1996.
- STEPHENSON P.W. and RUTLAND C.J.. Modeling the effects of intake flow characteristics on Diesel engine combustion. SAE technical paper 950282, 1995.
- STUMPP G. and RICCO M.. Common rail - an attractive fuel injection system for passenger car DI Diesel engines. SAE technical paper 960870, 1996.
- SU T.F., CHANG C.T. REITZ R.D., FARRELL P.V., PIERPONT A.D., and TOW T.C.. Effects of injection pressure and nozzle geometry on spray SMD and DI emissions. SAE technical paper 952360, 1995.
- TABATA T., ISHII Y., TAKATSUKI T., and YOKOTA K.. Numerical calculation of spray mixing process in a DI Diesel engine and comparison with experiments. SAE technical paper 950853, 1995.
- ZOLVER M., GRIARD C., and HENRIOT S.. 3D modeling applied to the development of a DI Diesel engine: effect of piston bowl shape. SAE technical paper 971599, 1997.
- zur LOYE A.O., SIEBERS D.L., McKINLEY T.L., NG H.K., and PRIMUS R.J.. Cycle-resolved LDV measurements in a motored Diesel engine and comparison with k-ε model predictions. SAE technical paper 890618, 1989.